Master of Social Work Application Process
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to achieve your professional goals: Apply to the Master of Social Work program at Fordham University. We encourage applications from people who can meet the academic requirements of a graduate-level program and who demonstrate that their personal qualities and values are compatible with the mission of social work: To improve the lives of others.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- 18 undergraduate credits in liberal arts content.
The GRE is not required for admission into this program.
Recommended Application Deadlines
- Fall: February 1 (applications are still being accepted)
- Spring: November 1
Please note: we will continue to accept applications on an space available bases after the above dates. However, applications submitted after the deadlines will not be given priority consideration for merit scholarship awards. All admission decisions will be emailed to applicants within four (4) weeks from the time an application becomes complete.
Please note: We cannot review your application until we have received all required materials including supplemental documents that must be hand delivered or mailed.
Required Application Materials
- Application form: You must select a plan of study and an area of concentration on the application form.
- Autobiographical statement: The autobiographical statement page includes suggested topics. Applying to the Online MSW program? You must answer the extra question, which appears below the autobiographical statement in the online application form.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts: At the time of applying, we require you to upload an unofficial transcript from the undergraduate institution where you earned your bachelor’s degree. You must also submit unofficial transcripts for any graduate courses you have completed or are currently taking at the time of application.
Please note: If you are accepted into the program, you will be required to submit a final official transcript from the undergraduate institution where you earned your bachelor’s degree prior to registration for classes. If you are planning on submitting a credit transfer request for graduate level social work courses, we will also need the official transcript for those courses before you can register. If you have completed all foundation year courses and field placement at another MSW program, you will be required to submit a final official transcript from that MSW program.
Official final transcripts must be mailed to the student first, who must keep the transcript in its original sealed envelope and either mail it or hand deliver it to the office below. We can only accept these documents in envelopes sealed and stamped by the registrar of your institution. Emailed/electronic transcripts must come directly from your school and be sent to us at email@example.com.
- One letter of recommendation: Approved recommenders are past and present employers, professors and approved volunteer coordinators. Letters of recommendation must be submitted via the link in the application, US mail or may be hand delivered in their original, sealed envelope with the recommender's signature along the seal or marked with other official insignia. In the application you will provide an email address for your reference. The application allows you to click to have instructions sent to your reference on how to submit their letter electronically through the application system.
- Complete Resume or CV.
- Application fee: $60, payable on the online application page. If you prefer to pay by mail, please send a check or money order payable to Fordham University.
Advanced Standing Applicants (BSW graduates) only:
If you have completed or are still in the process of completing a BSW degree, your faculty adviser or BSW program chair must provide us with your Final or Mid-Year Field Evaluation. If they are unable to provide us with on they may complete our alternative Advanced Standing Field Evaluation Form. This must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by your faculty advisor or program chair.
Transfer Student Application Only:
If you have completed a first-year field assignment in an MSW program, your faculty adviser or MSW program chair must provide us with your Foundation Year Field Evaluation. If they are unable to provide us with on they may complete our alternative Transfer Student Field Evaluation Form. This must be emailed to email@example.com by your faculty advisor or program chair. If you are a transfer student, please email us or call 212-636-6600 to discuss your plan of study. Only up to 12 credits can be transferred.
Employed Social Workers only
If you have work experience with three of more years of MSW supervision, and you will be able to fulfill a 28-hour per week field assignment at that agency, you can apply for the Employed Social Worker Plan of Study. Your supervisor or agency director must complete our Employed Social Worker Recommendation Form and you must mail or hand deliver it to the office below.
Mail or Hand Delivery of Supplemental Materials
It is required that applicants personally hand deliver or mail all offline supplemental materials, via UPS, FedEx, or USPS with return receipt requested, to:
Graduate School of Social Service
Office of Admission
113 West 60th Street, Suite 608
New York, NY 10023
Offline refers to any hard copy documents that are not being submitted through your application portal and can include:
- Transcripts in their original signed and sealed envelope.
- Letters of recommendation in their original, sealed envelope with the recommender's signature along the seal or marked with other official insignia.
- Advanced Standing Fieldwork Evaluation (if applicable).
- Transfer Student Fieldwork Evaluation (if applicable).
Our Office of Admissions is available to answer your questions and concerns throughout the application process. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-636-6600.