Online Master of Social Work
Earn a Top-Ranked MSW Online
Pursue a CSWE-accredited online MSW from the Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service (GSS), ranked in the top 25 MSW programs nationwide. You’ll gain the skills you need to practice effectively across different areas of social work while advancing the profession for the 21st century.
Online MSW Admissions
The Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service is now offering its bold, forward-thinking online MSW program to students living in states across the country. If you earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, you are eligible to apply to the online Master of Social Work program. You can choose to begin classes in January, May, or September.
September 2018 Cohort
March 1, 2018 Priority application deadline
June 25, 2018 Final application deadline
Multiple Plans of Study to Fit Your Needs
Fordham’s online MSW program offers several plans of study designed to fit your educational and professional background as well as your schedule.
- Traditional online MSW: This program is designed for those who earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. You will complete 66 credits of foundational and competency-specific coursework that can be completed in as few as 16 months accelerated, 24 months full time, or 32 months part time.
- Advanced standing online MSW: If you have earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or completed the first year of a CSWE-accredited MSW program, you may be eligible for advanced standing. This plan of study lets you bypass the foundational coursework you have already completed and earn your degree in as little as one academic year.
Tailor the Online MSW Curriculum to Your Interests
The online MSW program features a future-focused, advanced integrated practice curriculum that gives you the skills you need to work effectively across all areas of social work. The first half of the curriculum focuses on foundational master’s-level social work concepts related to theory and ethics. In the second phase of the curriculum, you will take courses within one or more advanced practice areas, focusing your education around your interests while gaining all the competencies you need for integrated practice. Our advisers will help you create your own curriculum of courses that will help you reach your career goals.
Advanced Practice Areas:
- Individuals and Families: Learn how to provide direct services that address clients’ environment and overall well-being.
- Organizations and Community: Be prepared to work effectively with entire communities and various types of organizations, including private and public companies and nonprofits.
- Evaluation: Become a more versatile social worker as you study and apply new ideas in the field.
Policy Practice and Advocacy: Develop skills related to managing organizations and systems, creating policy, writing grant proposals, and obtaining funding.
The Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service (GSS) has been educating future social workers for more than a century and is one of the largest schools of social work in the nation. Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), GSS is ranked number 22 on U.S. News & World Report’s list of top graduate social work schools in the United States.
Field Placements Near Your Community
Field education is a critical part of a social work education for both on-campus and online Master of Social Work students. Our online MSW program has been designed to give you the most field experience possible by having you start field education shortly after you start classes.
OnlineMSW@Fordham has partnered with agencies across the country that share our core values and meet our high standards for practice. While enrolled, you will complete field education at faculty-approved agencies near your community. You will work with a placement specialist to identify partner sites near your area where you can move theory into practice and help clients in need.
After completing field education and graduating from the program, you will feel confident pursuing employment in a setting where you can apply your classroom knowledge and hands-on skills to benefit clients.
Graduate Prepared to Pursue Licensure and Employment
The need for social workers is growing according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, which has projected the number of jobs in the field to increase 15 percent between 2016 and 2026. After earning your Master of Social Work online from Fordham University, you will be prepared to help meet that demand and practice social work in a variety of capacities.
Fordham provides both the foundational and focused education you need to serve others and advance the profession at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels. Here is a sample of professional environments where you could pursue employment after earning your MSW online and required licensure:
- Behavioral health facilities
- Community-based organizations
- Consulting groups
- Foster care and adoption agencies
- Government agencies
- Hospitals and skilled nursing facilities
- Military and veteran affairs clinics
- Political campaigns
- Primary and long-term care facilities
- Private practice
- Public health programs
- Religious organizations
- Research or non-profit organizations
- Substance abuse and addiction treatment clinics
Online MSW Student Experience and Support
OnlineMSW@Fordham offers a fulfilling, transformative academic experience that connects you to our values-driven community from wherever you have an internet connection.
- Earn your degree in a setting that’s convenient for you.
- Attend weekly live classes with peers and faculty and gain diverse perspectives on key social work concepts.
- Complete engaging, self-paced assignments that reinforce the knowledge and skills you are learning.
- Receive faculty mentoring through the online campus while gaining in-person feedback from your placement site supervisor.
As part of our holistic approach to online social work education, we offer comprehensive support that starts when you inquire about the program and continues after you graduate. Here are a few ways we support you:
- Personalized guidance throughout the application process
- Dedicated advising and field placement assistance
- Invitations to industry events and exposure to new research in the field
- 24/7 technical support
Visit our student experience page to learn more about how we support you as you pursue your Master of Social Work online.
Take the Next Step
Request information about Fordham’s online MSW program and take the next step toward becoming an ethical, effective social worker who helps clients thrive.