The Certificate in Spiritual Direction sequence is designed to identify the participant's potential for becoming a spiritual director, to assist the participant in discerning a call to this ministry, to formulate a model of spiritual direction and chaplaincy, and to develop the specific skills required to serve as a spiritual director. Graduates of the program serve as HS and College campus ministers, retreat directors and spiritual directors.
Required Spiritual Direction Foundations
Core pastoral competencies and underlying theological foundations:
- 15 credits (5 Courses) in Theology of Spiritual Direction, Pastoral Counseling Skills, Discernment of Spirits and the Supervised Practicum in Spiritual Direction (6 credits)
- 3 credit Elective (1 Course) in History of Christian Spirituality I or II, Contemporary Christian Spirituality, or The Ignatian Way
Spiritual Direction Practicum
The decision to continue with the practicum is based on the student's performance in the initial courses and interviews with the Practicum Directors during the application process for the Practicum Sequence. If a student is not admitted to the practicum, he or she may decide to resign from the program or ask to be considered for another certificate program. The practicum is a year-long experience, students gather one Saturday per month from September-May and also complete field placements and phone/hybrid meetings between campus visits.
At the end of the supervised practicum, the supervisor with the student assesses any particular needs for developing the necessary knowledge base in theology, psychology, or scripture based on the intern director's experience working with directees.
All those looking to apply must have/submit:
- An MA in Theology, Ministry, or a MA in a related field with 9 graduate credits in Fundamental Theology and Sacred Scripture (which may be taken during coursework)
- Evidence of one year's experience in ministry and/or one year under spiritual direction
- A letter of recommendation from your superior or spiritual director
Candidates for this program may be asked to participate in an interview with a member of the spirituality area before being admitted to the program. For full details on how to apply, please visit our Application Requirements page.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
See our Gainful Employment Disclosure page.