Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL)
What is VITAL?
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership is VA's approach to reaching out to student veterans to help facilitate the transition from soldier to student.
The VITAL Initiative is a partnership between VA New York Harbor Healthcare System and local colleges and universities. We're here to help you navigate your needs and concerns and maximize your unique set of strengths, skills and life experiences as you develop and translate your interests and talents into the academic setting.
- Free tutoring through Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Peer Mentoring.
- VA Work Study opportunities.
- Counseling and ongoing treatment for readjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety and sleep problems.
- Refer and work with the university to request academic accommodations.
- Coping strategies for classroom difficulties -- attention, concentration, restlessness.
- Assist with enrollment and care at VA New York Harbor Healthcare System.
- Obtain help and resources from within the VA and its affiliates including Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Vocational Rehabilitation Services.
- Tai Chi and Distress Tolerance Groups
For more information, visit VITAL.