Rules Applicable to All Audits
- Audits are only with permission of the instructor and subject to any conditions imposed by the instructor.
- Audits are allowed only when there are open spaces in the course after the last day of registration
- No audits are permitted of first-year J.D. courses, experiential courses, advanced legal writing methods classes, Fundamental Lawyering Skills, Trial Advocacy or J.D. required courses (exception: Stein scholars who are compensated for externship fieldwork)
- No credit is granted for any audit.
- Students are restricted from repeating an audited course for credit.
- Auditors are not officially enrolled in audited courses and do not take examinations or write papers for audited courses.
- Audited courses will appear on a transcript as reflecting “0” credits and graded as “AUD” (audit).
Note that faculty members are not permitted to have ongoing visitors without prior notification and proper registration
Current Fordham Law Students
- Upper-level J.D. students may audit one course per semester, provided that the student not exceed the credit limit with an audited course.
- First year J.D. students may not audit courses.
LL.M. and M.S.L. Students:
- Master students may audit one course per semester subject to the approval of the Director of International and Non-J.D. Programs and provided that the student does not exceed the credit limit with an audited course.
- Doctoral candidates may audit one or more courses per semester after consultation with their dissertation supervisor and the Director of International and Non-J.D. programs.
Fordham Law Alumni
A holder of a degree from Fordham Law School may audit one class per semester at a reduced rate of $300 per course.
Students matriculated at other law schools:
- Must provide a letter of approval/good standing from the home school.
Graduates of other universities:
- Must provide verification of law degree or four-year university-level degree
- Requests to audit should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, Registrar@law.fordham.edu.
- LL.M., M.S.L., and S.J.D. students must first have the written approval of the Director of International and Non-J.D. Programs.
- Request to audit must be made before the last day of the add/drop period for students, usually one week into each semester. For specific dates, visit the Academic Calendar.
- Current Fordham Students: No fee
- Fordham Law Graduates: $300 per course
- Others and LL.M. part-time division: Posted per-credit rate