Frontiers of Citizenship: A Black and Indigenous History of Postcolonial Brazil. New York: Cambridge University Press, Afro-Latin America series, February 2018 (paperback February 2019)
- 2019 Wesley-Logan Prize for African Diaspora History, American Historical Association
- 2019 Warren Dean Memorial Prize for Brazilian History, Conference on Latin American History (CLAH)
- 2019 Honorable Mention, Howard F. Cline Prize for Latin American Ethnohistory, Conference on Latin American History (CLAH)
- 2019 Honorable Mention for Best Book Prize, Latin American Studies Association 19th Century Section
- 2019 Outstanding First Book Award Finalist, Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD)
Book in Progress
Brazilian Atlantic: Archives and Stories of Illegal Slavery (working title)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
“In the Trail of the Ship: Narrating the Archives of Illegal Slavery.” Social Text 138 (March 2019): 85-105.
“Slave and Citizen in Black and Red: Reconsidering the Intersection of African and Indigenous Slavery in Postcolonial Brazil.” Slavery & Abolition 35, no. 1 (2014): 1-22.
“Fleeing into Slavery: The Insurgent Geographies of Brazilian Quilombolas (Maroons),
1880-1881.” The Americas 68, no. 4 (2012): 495-528.
- Winner of the 2013 Latin American Studies Association (LASA) Brazil Section Best Article Prize
- Winner of the 2013 Coordinating Council for Women in History (CCWH) Nupur Chaudhuri Prize for Best First Article
“Diasporic Africans and Postcolonial Brazil: Notes on the Intersection of Diaspora, Transnationalism, and Nation.” História Unisinos 15, no. 1 (2011): 126-130.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
“Imaginando fronteiras: uma história negra e indígena do Brasil pós-colonial” (“Imagining Frontiers: A Black and Indigenous History of Postcolonial Brazil”) in Chantal Cramaussel et al. eds., Memória, intercuturalidade e cidadania na América indígena. São Paulo: Ed. Humanitas, under contract.
“Revoltas e conspirações no Espírito Santo nas vésperas da abolição” (“Revolts and Conspiracies in Espírito Santo on the Eve of Abolition”) in João Reis and Flávio Gomes, eds., Liberdade disputada: Revoltas escravas no Brasil. São Paulo: Companhia das Letras, in production.
“Fugir para a escravidão: as geografías insurgentes dos quilombolas de São Mateus, ES, 1880-1881.” Portuguese version of “Fleeing into Slavery,” co-translated by Giovana Xavier and Yuko Miki. In Flávio Gomes and Petrônio Domingues, eds., Políticas da raça: experiências e legados da abolição e da pós-emancipação no Brasil (São Paulo: Editora Selo Negro, 2014).
Articles in Progress
“To Tame or to Kill: African Epistemologies and Slavery’s Archives in Nineteenth-Century
Brazil.” (working title).
“Acting African: Performance in the Illegal Brazilian Slave Trade.”