Teaching Certification Information
Curriculum and Teaching
- Anthony Elia, firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-636-6491, room 1103A
- TFA Students: Delores Pogue, email@example.com, 212-636-7542, room 1103D
Educational Leadership, Administration and Policy
- Stanley Kaminsky, firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-636-6437, room 1119A
Psychological and Educational Services
- Elizabeth Casey, email@example.com, 212-636-6469, room 1012E
Teacher candidates who meet all program requirements, complete the course of study and meet established field experience competencies are eligible for and will receive Fordham University’s endorsement for New York state initial certification in their program area provided they also have:
- Earned a passing score on the relevant New York state teacher examinations (LAST, ATS-W and CST).
- Completed a workshop in child abuse detection and prevention (EDGE 0210) taught by a New York state-qualified instructor (Fordham routinely arranges for a state-qualified instructor to teach this workshop on campus; a fee for this workshop is paid directly to the agency providing the instruction).
- Completed a workshop in school safety and violence education (EDGE 0230) taught by a New York state-qualified instructor (Fordham routinely arranges for a state-qualified instructor to teach this workshop on campus; a fee for this workshop is paid directly to the agency providing the instruction).
- Gained mastery of content in drug and alcohol education (EDGE 0220) introduced through workshops arranged at Fordham for no additional fee.
- Completed fingerprint requirements.
The information contained in this toolkit is for Fordham University students who are enrolled in a New York State Education Department (NYSED) approved degree program in teaching, administration or pupil personnel services that qualifies the graduate for state certification.
Fordham will endorse graduates of all Graduate School of Education degree-granting programs except for the following, which are not New York State approved:
- MSEd in Curriculum and Teaching
- MSEd in Educational Psychology
Refer to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) website to review specific certification requirements.
Fordham-Endorsed New York State Certification Process
To initiate the NY State certification process with Fordham's endorsement, complete the online application form.
Certification Outside New York State
If you are interested in applying for certification outside of New York State, you can access information about individual state's requirements at their respective State Licensing Agencies.
Most states will require documentation to verify the completion of your Fordham degree. If you require assistance, please contact the Certification Office at 212-636-7816.
New York State Education Department (NYSED)
Office of Teaching Initiatives
- General Certification Information
- Testing Requirements
- Certification Online Records System (CORE): Online Tracking of NY State Certification Applications
- Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability (OSPRA): Fingerprinting Information, Phone: 518-473-2998