Alpha Upsilon Alpha
Fordham University Chapter Beta Lota
Alpha Upsilon Alpha is an Honor Society for reading/language arts educators with a chapter established at Fordham University. This year's Graduate School of Education Honor Society Induction Ceremony will be held on Monday, March 11, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. (families are welcome).
The International Reading Association established the Alpha Upsilon Alpha Honor Society in May 1985. The purposes of Alpha Upsilon Alpha Honor Society are:
- to recognize and encourage scholarship, leadership, and service in the field of reading;
- to stimulate interest in and understanding of research within the field and in related areas;
- to develop an appreciation for the importance of reading in society, the need for effective teaching of reading at all levels, and the ever-increasing literacy demands of modern society;
- to broaden the understanding of literacy and to enhance international communication in this field.
For graduate candidates, the requirements for membership are as follows:
- Matriculation in the MSE Program in Advanced Literacy (minimum of 18 credits completed) or matriculation in the PhD program in Language, Literacy, and Learning.
- Recommendation by one faculty member.
- Achievement of a minimum 3.7 grade point average in all graduate work.
- Potential for scholarship, leadership, and service.
- Approval by the membership committee composed of chapter officers and Fordham faculty.
All chapter members must be members of the International Reading Association (IRA) and must keep their membership current.
Fordham students who qualify for membership are invited to join Alpha Upsilon Alpha during the fall semester. All applications are reviewed by the membership committee composed of chapter officers and Fordham faculty. Induction of new members takes place during the spring semester.
If you wish to join Alpha Upsilon Alpha please submit the following by March 1, 2016:
- A completed application form.
- Bring completed applications to the Lowenstein, Room 1102, Mailbox: Arlene Moliterno
- Contact Dr. Moliterno for additional information.