Administration and Supervision
Career Path: Prepares graduates for leadership positions and responsibilities such as assistant principal, department chair, principal, school building leader, supervisor, etc., in schools and other education-related settings.
Start Semester: Any
Campus: Lincoln Center
The program qualifies students to take the New York State Education Department's School Building Leader (SBL) certification examination, which is required for school-based positions such as assistant principal, department chair, principal, supervisor, etc. in all New York State public schools and in many other non-public schools. Candidates seeking SBL certification are required to complete a one year, part-time internship at their current schools. All applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School of Education.
The program is organized to promote learning through group projects, action research, critical reflection, clinical applications, problem-based simulations, policy analysis, and two semesters of internship. It follows a cohort model and is offered at our Lincoln Center Campus. Depending on interest, enrollment, and site availability, the program may also be offered at several off-site locations.
Application Deadlines (Rolling Admission)
- Fall: June 30
- Spring: November 15
- Summer: April 15
- Have a minimum one year, paid full-time teaching/counseling experience
- Possess a provisional teaching certificate and have at least one year of full-time teaching experience (for those eventually seeking NYS certification as a school building leader)
- Be a full time teacher/counselor in an elementary or secondary school
- Meet the general requirements for admission to graduate study in the Graduate School of Education
- Demonstrate effective communication skills (written and oral)
- Have demonstrated leadership potential
- Comprehensive Assessment Exam (ASGE0701)
- Critical Issues in Administration & Supervision (ASGE6461)
- Fundamentals of Educational Administration and Management (ASGE5112)
- Fundamentals of Educational Supervision (ASGE5119)
- Instructional Leadership (ASGE6130)
- Internship I and II (ASGE6520/21)
- Leading in a Diverse Society (ASGE6145)
- Perspectives on Leadership (ASGE6541)
- Professional Development (ASGE6333)
- Program Evaluation and Research (ASGE6720)
- School Finance (ASGE6322)
- School Law (ASGE6325)
Candidates seeking SBL certification are required to complete a one year (440 hours), part-time clinically-rich internship at their current schools. Specific experiences are outlined at the start of the internship experience.
Students will be eligible to take the NYS School Building Leader (SBL) certification examination. Please be aware that Fordham University grants degrees. The NYS Education Department issues certifications. Students need to consult with the New York State Education Department (NYSED) regarding their respective credentials and professional experiences.