School District Leadership
Degree: School District Leader Certificate (SDL)
Career Path: Leadership positions in New York State at the school district level such as superintendents, deputy and assistant superintendents, district administrators and supervisors in curriculum areas, and supervisors of pupil personnel services.
Application Deadline: April 30
Start Semester: Any
Campus: Lincoln Center
Full-time/Part-time: Courses are offered in an intensive weekend model during the fall and spring semesters with a one semester district-level internship which may be taken during the summer, fall or spring semester after the successful completion of six credits in the program.
This program combines theory with clinically-rich learning experiences to enable students to develop the knowledge, skills and aptitudes necessary to effectively lead at the school district level. Learning strategies and experiences may include: class discussions, case studies, guest speakers, relevant field experiences embedded in each course, a clinically rich internship at the district level, in-basket exercises, relevant readings, project-based learning, and action research.
Individuals seeking SDL certification must have:
- A minimum of 60 graduate credits which must include a masters degree and completion of an approved SDL preparation program and;
- three years of full-time paid experience in Administration, Pupil Personnel Services or Classroom Teaching by the time you apply for NYSED School District Leader certification
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 15
- Summer: April 30
Effective immediately, those applying to Teaching or Educational Leadership programs at the master's or advanced certificate level are now required to submit standardized GRE or equivalent exam scores with their application.
One semester district-level internship which may be taken during the summer, fall or spring semester after the successful completion of six credits in the program. Fall or spring internships will necessitate that interns have a flexible work schedule in order to complete the minimum 200 hour internship requirement.
Candidates seeking SDL certification must take the following five courses beyond a master’s degree.
- Boards of Education (ASGE6225)
- Cases and Simulations in Administration and Supervision (ASGE6227)
- Clinical Practice in Administration and Supervision (Internship-District Level) (ASGE7530)
- Leading a Learning Organization (ASGE7442)
- The Superintendency (ASGE6224)
New York State Education Department: Pathway Approved Teacher Preparation Program
Requirements for School District Leader Certificate:
- Completion of a NYS Registered Program - School District Leader
- Institutional Recommendation - School District Leader
- Additional Education - Master’s Degree
- Graduate Coursework - 60 S.H.
- Paid, full-time Admin/PPS/Classroom Teaching experience - 3 Yrs.
- Examination - School District Leader - Part 1
- Examination - School District Leader - Part 2
- Fingerprint Clearance
- Citizenship Status - INS Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship
Dr. John Lee