School District Leadership Certificate
Certificate: School District Leader Certificate (SDL)
Career Path: Leadership positions in New York State at the school district level such as superintendents, deputy and assistant superintendents, district administrators and supervisors in curriculum areas, and supervisors of pupil personnel services.
Fordham GSE’s Division of Educational Leadership, Administration, and Policy (ELAP) offers coursework, supervised field experience and other services to support candidates who are seeking SDL certification.
Start Semester: All
Campus: Lincoln Center or Westchester
Schedule (full-time or part-time): Two courses are offered on seven Fridays or five Saturdays during the spring and fall semesters. An intensive summer institute (six credits) and one semester district-level internship both may be taken in summer.
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: January 3
- Summer: April 30
Effective immediately, those applying to Teaching or Educational Leadership programs at the master's or advanced certificate level are now required to submit standardized GRE or equivalent exam scores with their application.
- 60 credits of graduate coursework by time of completion, which must include a master’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B or better)
- Paid, full-time, three or more (3+) years of experience as a school administrator, pupil personnel professional or classroom teacher by time of completion
- Two references (if currently working in a pre-K-12 setting, one reference should be from your current school principal)
- Proof of immunization against measles, meningitis, mumps, and rubella
- A satisfactory command of oral and written English
Fordham University offers several program options for current and aspiring district leaders who are interested in School District Leader (SDL) certification
Fordham SBL students: If you earned a master’s degree from Fordham GSE’s ELAP division within the past five years, you only need an additional nine credits to fulfill the SDL coursework requirements. The nine credits can be completed during summer.
Fordham EdD students: If you are currently pursuing or have completed an EdD in the ELAP division in the past five years, you only need an additional nine credits to fulfill the coursework requirements.
The additional nine-credits of coursework for both Fordham SBL and EdD students entails:
- ASGE 6224 The Superintendency (3 credits)
- ASGE 6225 Boards of Education (3 credits)
- ASGE 7530 Clinical Practice in Administration and Supervision (District-Level Internship, 3 credits)
Candidates must complete a one semester district-level internship which may be taken during the summer, fall or spring semester after the successful completion of six credits in the program. Fall or spring internships will necessitate that interns have a flexible work schedule in order to complete the minimum 200 hour internship requirement.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
See our Gainful Employment Disclosure page.