Playwriting MFA Application Information
The M.F.A. in Playwriting program has been placed on hiatus for the 2018 - 2019 academic year. Application information and deadlines for the 2019 - 2020 academic year will be posted late summer 2019.
Applicants to the M.F.A. in playwriting must have completed or be in the process of completing a bachelor's degree and need to apply to and be accepted by the Fordham University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). In addition to the GSAS application materials, applicants to the M.F.A. in playwriting must also submit a playwriting portfolio to Matthew Maguire, director of the M.F.A. program.
MFA writers and playwright Rajiv Joseph
Playwriting Portfolio Requirements
- Cover letter
- Two plays (at least one should be full length)
Mail your playwriting portfolio to:
Director, Fordham University/Primary Stages M.F.A. in Playwriting
Department of Theatre and Visual Arts
Fordham College at Lincoln Center
113 W. 60th Street, Room 423F
New York, NY 10023
GSAS Online Application
To apply you must create an account. Please access the Online Application to initiate the application process and receive your user name and password.
The GSAS application requires the following components:
- Letters of Recommendation: Two from former professors, professional playwrights or directors, or employers. Please make every effort to have the letters submitted electronically. If hard copy, each must be signed and sealed across the seal.
- Statement of Intent: (maximum 500 words, submitted electronically via the online application). Place your name on all pages of your Statement of Intent.
- Official Transcripts: Official degree transcripts confirming prior degree conferral are required for all applicants, regardless of matriculation status. These should be ordered at least one month prior to the application deadline for your program of interest, and should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org) via secure electronic delivery. If electronic delivery is not available, please request that your transcripts be submitted directly via post, in a sealed envelope, to: Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Office of Admissions, Fordham University, 441 E. Fordham Rd., Bronx, NY 10458. Please note: you may upload unofficial copies of your transcripts to your application while the Office of Admissions awaits receipt of your official transcripts. Please ensure that all official transcripts from previously attended post-secondary institutions are submitted in English, or are accompanied by a certified English translation. Transcripts and credentials conservsion information is available on the GSAS International Students page.
International Students: International applicants whose native language is not English are required to complete and submit to GSAS prior to matriculation their official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). GSAS will also consider a student’s International English Language Testing System (IELTS)—Cambridge English Proficiency Level language testing results.Official TOEFL or IELTS scores should be sent directly by the testing service to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Fordham University, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences – Code # 2259. Please consult the English Proficiency web page for additional information.
Application Fee: The application fee is $70. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is pleased to waive its application fee for the following:
- AmeriCorps Members
- Current Fordham Employees
- Current Fordham Students
- Current Serving Members or Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps Members
- McNair Scholars
- Peace Corps Volunteers
- Project 1000 Scholars
- TRIO Scholars
If you have other reasons for seeking a GSAS application fee waiver, kindly direct your request in writing to the GSAS Director of Admissions at email@example.com. Please be sure to include your first and last name as it appears on your application; application reference number; and academic program of interest.
Note that the M.F.A. in playwriting does NOT require GRE scores for admission.
All GSAS application components need to be received at GSAS admissions. Please do not send any GSAS application materials to the theatre program. Any additional materials not submitted electronically (transcripts and recommendations) should be sent to Fordham's GSAS admissions office at the address below. Do not send hardcopy duplicates of materials that you submitted electronically -- that will delay your application process.
Send any additional GSAS application materials to:
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Keating Hall 216
441 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY 10458
Please do NOT mail your playwriting portfolio to GSAS.