About Global Transition
“Being an international student myself the transition can be rather difficult if you don't have someone to guide you through it. I found my GTA and this program as a whole very informative and helped me prepare for what's to come.” - Previous GT participant
“I enjoyed my time during GT especially because it helped me feel more comfortable about being in an American College Setting. Not only was my GTA a great person, he was also helpful in accommodating my GT group and I with everything we needed to know. As an international student, Global Transition was a perfect adjustment period..” - Previous GT participant
Global Transition is a program to welcome undergraduate international students to Fordham and help with adjustment to the first days and weeks here. During Global Transition, new students will have the opportunity to meet and get to know other international students from all over the world, attend important and helpful information sessions, and engage in some fun activities/events. During Global Transition, you will also be able to ask current Fordham students all the questions you may have about life at Fordham.
Fall 2022 Global Transition
August 24th-August 27th
New international students should plan to arrive in NYC by Wednesday, August 24, 2022, for Global Transition (GT), Fordham's international orientation program which takes place beginning Thursday, August 25 and includes important immigration and other information, meeting current Fordham international students, fun activities, and mandatory English language placement testing (FELT). After GT, international students will participate in the university-wide New Student Orientation.
International students living in University Housing are allowed to move onto campus on Wednesday, August 24, 2022, as part of Global Transition (this is already approved for you). If you need to arrange for move-in before this date, you must request permission from the Office of Residential Life directly at firstname.lastname@example.org (for Rose Hill Bronx residents) or email@example.com (for Lincoln Center Manhattan residents).
Attendance at Global Transition is mandatory for all F1 visa-holding undergraduate students starting at Fordham (this includes first-year and transfer students).
You must register for Global Transition by Friday, July 29.
To register, log on to your account at my.fordham.edu (Log into the New Portal, click on “My Pages” and then “New Student”, and scroll down until you see the “Global Transition” section on the right-hand side)
If you are a F1 visa-holder, you are expected to attend GT even if you did not register, but registration is critical to ensure that we have materials and a group placement for you.
U.S. Citizens and permanent residents are also welcome to join Global Transition! Have you lived/gone to school abroad and have concerns or questions about adjusting to college life in the US? If you are coming from abroad or from an international academic background, Global Transition is here to help you adjust to being at school in the US and New York City! If you'd like to participate in GT, make sure you register since that is the only way we can get the names of non-visa holding students.
All incoming F1 visa-holding students will be charged a Global Transition fee of $425*, which covers food, welcome materials, transportation, and more. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to participate in Global Transition will also be charged the Global Transition fee.
Exchange Students: You will NOT participate in Global Transition. Instead, the Office of International and Study Abroad Programs will host your welcome programming.
2022 Global Transition Team Bios
Check out the 2022 GT Team here.
Want to know what it's like to attend GT, and what past participants say about the program?
Comments from Previous GT participants:
- “I had a lot of fun and meanwhile I got to know the culture and lifestyle here in NYC”
- “From my own experience, GT is a program which is carefully organized in order to help international student to be familiar with the environment/community, to get prepared for the life in the city, and to get to know other students who are either upper-class students or international students. GT makes it possible for international students to connect with other people and form a group that in which people understand and support each other. I came here to study almost with no idea about how I should live the life here. It's GT that made me know basic stuff like where to shop and how to take the public transportation ; help me learn more about the school, culture, community here. It also let me meet some people very nice and helpful like my GTA. My transition would be less smooth without the gain from the GT program.”
- “Looking back, GT was a very valuable experience for me because I don’t think I would have met the friends that I know today without that 5-day program. More importantly, the GTAs that I’ve met and still keep in touch with during the global transition have been such a great help for me throughout my first year in college”
- “Although I am American, I never lived in the US for any significant amount of time before coming to Fordham, and the chance to meet people coming from similar backgrounds and the guidance I got from the GTAs were instrumental in getting me on my feet in more ways than I can count, especially in my first few months.”
- “As an international student, my experience in GT really comforted me mentally and physically.”
Global Transition is on Instagram! This is a great way to connect and also to ask any questions you may have. Your Global Transition Assistants are members of this group, and are excited to help you however they can! You can follow Global Transition on Instagram here.
*Global Transition Fee Subject to change