J-1 Sponsorship Procedures and Responsibilities
- Scholar must secure approval from the Department/Area Chair, the appropriate Dean of Faculty/Dean, and the Office of the Provost. This approval will be communicated to the OIS by the issuance of an invitation letter.
- Scholar must complete and submit an online application.
- Scholar must submit supporting documentation that demonstrates *sufficient funds* for the scholar to financially support him/herself and any dependents during their stay
Note: Normal processing times for the issuance of a DS-2019 is between 1 and 2 weeks.
Responsibilities of the Department
- Each visiting scholar should be assigned a Fordham faculty member as a mentor of sorts, to assist the scholar with issues related to their access to research materials (e.g. gaining access to libraries, computers, etc.).
- The Fordham "mentor" will also serve as the contact person for OIS to communicate with for affirmation that the researcher/scholar is working to fulfill their intended purpose.
- The Department should notify the OIS as soon as possible of any change in the visitor's stay or research plans (e.g. extending their stay, departing earlier than planned).
Responsibilities of the Scholar
- Upon their arrival in the U.S., every visiting scholar should "check-in" with OIS. This means that they should report to our office with their documents (passport, DS-2019, I-94 record), so that we can report their physical presence at our University to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. See the Travel page for instructions on how to obtain your I-94 record.
- Every visiting scholar/researcher is required to provide proof of insurance (and maintain health insurance for him/herself as well as any J2 dependents) while here in the U.S.
- Every visiting scholar should notify the OIS immediately of any changes in their contact information (address, phone numbers, email address) and/or any changes in their approved period of stay.
- Every visiting scholar should notify the OIS before they depart.