Skip to main content

J-1 Employees

All new and current J-1 scholars who will be employed by Fordham University must first complete and return The Request for DS-2019 Sponsorship Form along with the required documentation.

  • If you are currently a J-1 scholar at another institution who has been hired by the University please contact OIS at as soon as possible regarding the feasibility and coordination of transferring your J-1 status from your current sponsor to Fordham University.
  • If you are a new employee that has been offered J-1 sponsorship by Fordham University, please be aware that DS-2019s will not be issued for tenure-track positions.
  • If you are subject to 212e, the University cannot sponsor you for H1B status unless you apply for and receive a waiver. Find out more information on the 212e waiver process.
  • If you will not be an employee of Fordham University, please see J-1 Visiting Research Scholars.

*Please note that Fordham University does not file waivers for subject J-1 employees. Though we will advise you as needed, the J-1 must file the waiver him/herself (as well as pay the required fees).