Work Study FAQ

What is a FAFSA?

FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is an application used to determine eligibility for federal aid. The FAFSA takes two weeks to process. You will receive back a Student Aid Report (SAR). Confirm that all of the information is correct and that Fordham University is listed on the SAR.

How do I apply for an on-campus job if I didn't receive Work Study in my package?

You may apply for an on-campus job as an non-work study student worker. You can either fill out the application at the SEO office or download it. Please print the application, complete it and return it to the SEO office located in:

Thebaud Hall 1st Floor
441 East Fordham Road
Bronx, New York 10458

As vacancies become available, the SEO will phone students for interviews and place students using the following criteria: financial need, skill required and departmental needs.

What is the payment process for a work study student?

There are two options for receiving your paycheck. It can either be mailed directly to you on a monthly basis or it can be deposited directly into your bank account.

Will the money I earn be directly deducted from my tuition?

No. You will receive a check for actual hours worked.

What happens if I do not earn my entire grant by commencement?

You are paid for the amount of hours that you have worked. If you don't earn your entire grant by commencement day, you will forfeit the remaining portion.

What do I have to do to drive the Ram Van?

Ram Van is a service that transports students to and from our 3 respective campuses. To become a Ram Van driver, the following items are required: a valid driver's license, written DMV test, road test and a physical exam. You cannot have more than 1 violation and/or 1 accident. You must be adept at dealing with city traffic. Some weekend and evening shifts may be required.

Do I need to bring any information with me when I come for my placement interview?

At the time of your interview, you will need to bring two proofs of identification. You will need to bring in your social security card or birth certificate and a picture ID or valid passport.