Ethics and Society News
Ethics and Society Fall Admissions
The Master's in Ethics and Society program is accepting applications on a rolling basis for Fall 2018 admission. Merit-based assistantship opportunities (which provide a stipend and partial tuition scholarship) and tuition discounts may still be available. Please contact Dr. Celia Fisher for more information. We also warmly invite students to schedule a time to visit Fordham and meet with program faculty and students.
Ethics Center Blog and Twitter Feed
Our Ethics and Society blog serves as a source for news and analysis of issues relating to ethics. Below are some posts from the past year, many written by Ethics and Society students and faculty. And don't forget to follow us on Twitter and "like" us on Facebook!
- Is there an ethics code for storytelling?: the phenomenon of Humans of New York
- Ethics in Online Activism: False Senses of Social Action or Effective Source of Change?
- Ethics & Gun Violence: 'What is missing from the conversation is a willingness to address the moral implications of these actions & our reactions publicly'
- 'Family is Family': Why Intel's New Adoption & Fertility Policies are a Step in the Right Direction
Alumni Achievements and Careers
- Faith Forgione: Human Research Protection Program Coordinator at City University of New York
- Erika McCarthy: Regulatory Coordinator for the Yale Cancer Center Clinical Trials.
- Taylor Jacob: awarded a four-year Fulbright to earn a PhD in Divinity at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.
- Nicole Scully: attending law school at Duke University
Recent Ethics and Society Events
The Ethics Center hosts exciting lectures and conferences on topics of contemporary social debate. Events from the past year included:
- Transnational Reproduction: Race, Kinship and Commercial Surrogacy in India
- In Good Conscience: Human Rights in an Age of Terrorism, Violence, and Limited Resources
- Careers in Ethics Panel
- WE ARE THE YOUTH: A photo-journalist project chronicling the stories of LGBTQ youth
- Exploring Faculty Responsibility Toward Students In Distress
- A Crisis of Conscience: What Do We Owe Immigrant Youth and Families?
May Intensive Course: Theories and Applications in Contemporary Ethics
Fordham's Master of Arts in Ethics and Society will offer its annual week-long intensive course, Theories and Applications in Contemporary Ethics during May 22-24, 2018. The course features cross-disciplinary learning with 6 faculty presenting foundations and applications in contemporary ethics. Topics from the 2016 course included:
- Foundations in Professional Ethics and Sociology. Special Topic "Moral Stress and Responsibilities toward Vulnerable Populations"
- Foundations in Biology and Theology. Special Topic "Environmental Ethics: Theological and Scientific Perspectives"
- Foundations in Philosophy and Theology. Special Topic "Philosophical and Economic Frameworks on Inequalities and Disparities "
Santander Universities/Ethics and Society Scholarship
The Fordham/Santander Universities International Scholarship in Ethics Education provides funding to international students for graduate-level study of ethics at Fordham University's Master's program in Ethics and Society.
Please feel free to contact the program director with any questions or if you would like to discuss the program in more detail.