Skip to main content

Registration After Coursework

Guide for the Perplexed:

Registration After Coursework

Even after you’ve finished coursework, you still need to register for each semester so that the university can maintain your enrollment. You also need to fill out a form to ensure that you’re counted as a full-time student. This process will help avoid disruptions to your funding and student loan deferments. Follow the instructions below to complete this process.

Completing Registration

  1. Sign in to Go to the Student tab.
  2. In the Self Service Applications section of the page (in the upper-left corner), select Look Up Classes & Student Registration. In the new page that opens, select Register for Classes. Choose the term for which you are registering.
  3. Register for the course that corresponds with your current stage in the program:

Time Frame


Semester before comprehensive exams

THEO 0913: Requirement Prep

Semester of comprehensive exams

THEO 0930: Doctoral Comprehensive

Semester in which you are preparing a dissertation proposal

THEO 0950: Proposal Development

Semester in which you are working on your dissertation

THEO 9999: Dissertation Direction

Semester in between dissertation defense and graduation (if applicable)

THEO 0913: Requirement Prep

  1. In addition to the course above, register for any of the options below if they apply to you. It’s important to register for these options, because the university uses this process to allocate funding and resources to the department. Furthermore, the Department Placement Coordinator has the discretion to decline to work with students who have not registered for the Professional Development Seminar:

Department Opportunity


Dissertation Seminar

THEO 5017: Theology Dissertation Seminar

Job Market Support (Application Review, Mock Interviews, and Sample Job Talks).

THEO 9000: Professional Development Seminar


Filling Out the Matriculated Student Status Certification Form

Each semester, you also need to fill out the Matriculated Student Status Certification Form, which you can find at this link, by the end of the registration period.

  1. In Section A, select the purpose that is most relevant to you. For most students, this is Federal Student Loan Deferment. Specify that you are seeking certification as a Full Time student.
  2. In Section B, fill in 1 for the number of credits for which you are enrolled.
  3. In Section C, select all options that apply to you. For example, you might select both “Preparation for the Comprehensive Exam” and “Duties as a Teaching Fellow.”
  4. Fill out your personal information and sign the bottom of the form.
  5. Give the form to Sue Perciasepe in the department office.

Double-Check Your Registration a Week Later

It’s a good idea to double-check your registration in DegreeWorks to make sure that everything looks in order. To do this:

  1. Sign in to Go to the Student tab.
  2. Scroll down to the DegreeWorks pane in the center column of the page. Click Login to DegreeWorks.
  3. Review your record and verify that everything looks accurate. If anything looks awry, contact Sue Perciasepe in the department office.