- 1976 BS in Psychology, Fordham University
- 1981 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Indiana University
Major Research Interests
- Nature and consequences of interpersonal support and nonsupport
- Nature and consequences of experiences of spiritual support and nonsupport
- Domain-specific appraisal of life events and personal goals
- Cross-cultural assessment
- PSYC 6225 - Personality Theories and Research
- Brief Psychotherapy
- PSYC 8202 - Externship II
- Psychotherapy Practicum
- PSYC 4820 - Community Psychology
- PSYC 2900 - Abnormal Psychology
- Diplomate in Clinical Psychology, American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP)
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Divisions 12 (Clinical Psychology), 8 (Personality and Social Psychology), 36
- (Psychology of Religion).
- Member, Association for Psychological Science
- Member, Stress and Anxiety Research Society
- Procidano, M. E., & Cieslak, R. (2010). Content validity in cross-cultural test construction: A demonstration with US-Polish data. in La Psicologia social en Mexico, Vol. XIII (pp. 537-546). S. R. Aragon, R. D. Loving, I. R. Lagunas, R. S. Aragon, & L. M. C. Martinez, Eds. Mexico City, MX: Association Mexicana de Psicologia Social.
- Sakworawich, A., Procidano, M. E., & Dominguez Espinosa, A. (2010). Relationship between support availability and reciprocity from friends and family and life satisfaction: A comparison among Thailand, Mexico, and USA. In La Psicologia social en Mexico, Vol. XIII (pp. 337-344). S. R. Aragon, R. D. Loving, I. R. Lagunas, R. S. Aragon, & L. M. C. Martinez, Eds. Mexico City, MX: Association Mexicana de Psicologia Social.
- Dominguez-Espinosa, A., Salas-Menotti, I., & Procidano, M. E. (2009). Comparacion de una medida de apoyo social en dos contextos latinoamericanos: Mexico y Colombia. In F. Cintron Bou, E. Acosta Perez, & L. Diaz Melendez, Eds. Psicologia communitria: Trabajandro con communidades en las Americas (pp. 211-225).
- Procidano, M. E., Nausheen, B., & Gupta, A. (2008). Links between social support and health: Toward a cross-cultural perspective. In P. Buchwald, Ringeisen, & M. Eysenck (Eds.), Stress and anxiety: Application to life-span development and health promotion. Berlin: Logos Verlag.
- Procidano, M. E. (2004). Cross-cultural assessment of social support: Progress, problems, & prospects. In H. Sek & R. Cieslak (Eds.), Wsparcie spoleczne – stress – zdrowie [Social support –stress – health]. Warsaw, Poland: Polish Scientific Publishers PWN.
- Procidano, M. E. (2000). Students' evaluations of writing assignments in an abnormal psychology course. In M. E. Ware & D. E. Johnson (Eds.), Handbook of demonstrations and activities in the teaching of psychology, Vol III., 2nd Edition. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Procidano, M. E., & Smith, W. W. (1997). Assessing perceived social support: The importance of context. In G. R. Pierce, I. G. Sarason, N. Sarason, & B. Lakey (Eds.), Sourcebook of theory and research on social support and personality (pp. 93-106). New York: Plenum.
- Procidano, M. E., Busch-Rossnagel, N. A., Reznikoff, M., & Geisinger, K. F. (1995). Responding to graduate students' professional deficiencies: A nationwide survey. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 51, 426-433.
- Procidano, M. E. (1992). The nature of perceived social support: Findings of meta-analytic studies. In C. D. Spielberger & J. N. Butcher (Eds.), Advances in personality assessment, Volume 9 (1-26). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Giardino, J. C., & Procidano, M. E. (2010, March). Muscle dysmorphia in college weightlifters: A cross-cultural phenomenon. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, Baltimore, MD.
- Muir, J., & Procidano, M. (2008, August). Caribbean immigrants’ maternal care and separation,social support, and adjustment. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Boston, MA.
- Procidano, M. E., Cieslak, R., Sakworawich, A., Hernandez-Plaza, S., Pozo-Munoz, C., Alonso-Morillejo, E., Domínguez-Espinosa, A., Salas-Menotti, I., Knoll, N., Zinken, K., Nausheen, B., & Gupta, A. (2007, July). Perceived social support item functioning in nine countries. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Stress and Anxiety Research Society, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
- Procidano, M. E., Levine, J, & Sakworawich, A. (2007, July). Effects of acculturation on social-support item functioning in Hispanic-American versus European-American college students in New York City. In A. Dominguez-Espinosa (Chair), Social support and migration. Symposium presented at the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology/IV Latin American Regional Congress of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Procidano, M. E., Malone, C., & Siwek, D. (2007, August). Interpersonal Support and Nonsuonsupport Predict Subjective Life-Events Appraisal: Qualitative & Quantitative Analyses. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Asgari, S., Procidano, M. E., & Pickens, I. (2007, May). Stress and Support Provision Influence Emotionality and Perceived Support. Poster presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Society, Washington, D.C.
- Fellows, M., & Procidano, M. E. (2006, May). Social support and goal strivings predict resilience in adolescents: Support for the compensatory model. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, New York, NY.
- Galette, F., & Procidano, M. E. (2006, July). Validating a self-report measure of domain-specific appraisals. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Stress and Anxiety Research Society, Rethymnon, Crete.