Professional Development Opportunities
Hourly rates for all GSAS students:
Master's Students - $17.35/hour
Doctoral Students - $19.55/hour
Professional Development Assignments for GSAS Students
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Admissions Assistant:
Hours: 19 hours/week
Contact: Travis Strattion, GSAS Interim Director of Admissions at email@example.com.
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), founded in 1916, is located at the historic Rose Hill campus of Fordham University in the Bronx. The Office of Admissions is responsible for overseeing the recruitment, evaluation and admissions process for GSAS programs. Fordham GSAS admits students to research degrees, including the Master of Arts (M.A.), the Master of Science (M.S.), and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), as well some professionally-oriented degrees, such as the Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.). Most GSAS courses are offered at Rose Hill, but a number of graduate programs offer GSAS courses at other campuses (Lincoln Center or Westchester) or centers (for example, the Louis Calder Center in Armonk, NY).
The Office of Admissions is seeking a current student who can perform general administrative tasks and duties as part of our Admissions team. This customer oriented position works closely with current and prospective students, faculty, staff and alumni to deliver consistent service and information related to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Admissions Office and the University. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responding to admissions office emails and phone calls.
- Front desk responsibilities that involve greeting and responding to walk-in inquires.
- Communicating and advising prospective students about admissions and general GSAS program information.
- Processing applications including scanning documents and data entry.
- Following up with applicants and programs regarding specific application information.
- Communicating and advising on GSAS admissions policies and procedures.
- Training users on the Slate on-line application system.
- Must be able to assist with GSAS 2018 Commencement preparation and diploma ceremony.
- Reports to the GSAS Interim Director of Admissions.
- Expected to work up to 19 hours/week for the remainder of the spring semester and
- 24 hours/week over the summer
Must be able to work well with others, follow instructions, and commit to performing at a high level. Successful applicants are expected to arrive and depart based on the semester schedule as set with the Interim Director of Admissions, and to make arrangements in advance if it is necessary to vary from the schedule in any way.
Cataloging Digital Analyst & Reference Assistant
IIHA Graduate Assistant TOR
Schedule: 19 hours/week
To apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to Mr. Brendan Cahill at firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: The position will offer the student worker the opportunity to learn and sharpen professional and academic research skills as well the opportunity to further explore their interest in international humanitarian affairs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the IIHA Executive Director, Senior Fellows and academic staff with the undergraduate and graduate humanitarian studies programs;
- Coordinating with GSAS to improve graduate program operations;
- Acting as one of the primary points of contact between students and their internship placement sites for both the undergraduate and graduate programs (communicating with internship placement sites, organizing mid-term and final evaluations, confirming that internships fulfill all IIHA requirements, etc.);
- Assisting the Executive Director for all work as the New York Liaison Office for the Academic Council on the United Nations System (ACUNS);
- Assisting the Executive Director for all work relating to the NOHA Universities partnership;
- Assisting with tracking student progress & grades (for both graduates and undergraduates);
- Working directly with the Executive Director on developing and executing new relationships and projects.
- Graduate student with a concentration in Humanitarian Affairs, International Relations, Political Science, IPED or a related field
- A general interest in and basic understanding of current humanitarian affairs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently with a high level of professionalism
- Ability to complete projects ahead of or by deadlines
- Ability to multitask
About the Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs: The Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs (IIHA) at Fordham University, working with external humanitarian partners, offers programs throughout the world at both the graduate and undergraduate level. Through these programs, IIHA trains students for careers in the humanitarian field by combining an academic approach with the shared practical experience of faculty, external speakers and students. To learn more, please visit the IIHA website.
Other Job Opportunities
Office for International Services Graduate Assistant
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: 12-19 hours/week
Hourly Rate: M.A./M.S./M.B.A. - $16.00/hour
Location: Must be located at Rose Hill campus
The graduate assistant is expected to be a welcoming presence to our international students and scholars. As the first point of contact, we are looking for a capable and professional graduate assistant to:
- Comprehend, trust and follow the established office processes and procedures;
- Understand the complex nature of advising and be able to determine when to escalate issues to an OIS official for handling;
- Handle the requests/inquiries of visitors to the OIS office
- Responsible for completing routine service requests from students (e.g. letter requests, document pickups, etc)
- Monitor and manage the office email accounts to assure that inquiries are addressed and responded to in a timely manner,
- Take direction well and be able to follow instructions,
- Assist with monitoring our online appointment calendar,
- Learn and use specialized programs to manage student/scholar information,
- Handle general office duties, including checking voicemail, filing, sending packages, making copies, replenishing office documents, etc.;
- Other related duties as assigned
- Proficiency in basic computer functions, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google services (e.g. Gmail, Google Drive)
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (in person and on the phone)
- Exercise great attention to detail
- Willing to learn about the office functions and regulations, and to effectively utilize those in the position
- Second language helpful but not necessary.
- Reliable, proactive, and professional team player.
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include availability date.
Part-time Tutor Positions
Hours: Flexible Hourly Rate: $18 and up
The Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Rose Hill seeks to hire graduate students in part-time tutor positions for our undergraduate students at Rose Hill. Support students in their efforts to realize their academic goals and successfully meet the challenges of today's higher education. The hours are flexible and the tutoring is on an individual basis and on campus.
If interested, please contact Biswa Bhowmick at Bhowmick@Fordham.edu.
Office of Study Abroad Program Assistant
Start Date: Early January
Posting Date: November 29
Hours: Up to 20 per week (10 a.m. - 4 p.m. 4 days per week)
- Guide students through the early stages of the study abroad application process
- Help office staff with general reception and office tasks
- Maintain the study abroad website and social media accounts
- Manage the transcript evaluation process
- Other tasks will be assigned as necessary
- Bachelor's degree
- Microsoft Office fluency
- Attention to detail
- Office management experience
- Study abroad experience
- Familiarity with Fordham administration
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment
If interested, send a CV and cover letter to Joseph Rienti, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org.