Master of Arts in Urban Studies
Transform Your World
Cities around the globe are facing complex issues in need of creative solutions. At Fordham, our solutions-oriented interdisciplinary program will prepare you to tackle the challenges confronting urban society in a range of areas:
- Economic development
- Inequality and social justice
- Public health
- Environment and sustainability
- Urban arts and creative industries
- Historic preservation and gentrification
- Technology and the development of “smart” cities.
With New York City as our main laboratory, you’ll design a unique course of study tailored to your own interests. You’ll engage in fieldwork with real-world implications and emerge with a nuanced understanding of the powerful forces that are shaping our cities, as well as the problem-solving skills required to improve the quality of life for their citizens.
- Flexible, interdisciplinary program shaped by student interests and career objectives
- Strong foundation in applied research methods and contemporary urban issues
- Research and study abroad opportunities with our international partner universities
- Opportunity for fieldwork with public agencies, community nonprofits, museums, architectural and engineering firms, economic development corporations, and more
- Curricular Practical Training is available to F-1 students
- Designed as a 16-month program (three to four semesters for full-time students)
- Curriculum requirements include three core courses, seven elective courses, fieldwork, and the completion of a master’s thesis for a total of 36 units.
- Master’s thesis topic is directly tied to research and fieldwork
- Classes held in the evening to accommodate fieldwork
- City and regional planning
- Real estate
- Historic preservation
- Public administration
- Environmental regulation
- Urban renewal and design
- Housing development agencies
- Business improvement districts
- Economic development corporations
- Nonprofit cultural and arts institutions
Learn more about how a master’s degree in urban studies can help you in your career.