- 'A Convenient Seat in God's Temple': The Massachusetts General Colored Association and the Park Street Church Pew Controversy of 1830, 89, The New England Quarterly 6 (March 2016).
- The Force of Ancient Manners: Federalist Politics and the Unitarian Controversy, 22 Journal of the Early Republic 575 (Winter 2002).
- The Federalist Trope: Power and Passion in Abolitionist Rhetoric, 88 Journal of American History 75 (June 2001).
Available via JSTOR.
- Regionalism and the Religion Clauses: The Contribution of Fisher Ames, 47 Buffalo L. Rev. 763 (1999).
- The Ghost at the Banquet: Slavery, Federalism, and Habeas Corpus for State Prisoners, 70 Tulane L. Rev. 1 (1995) (winner of the John Minor Wisdom Award for Academic Excellence in Legal Scholarship).