Global Peer Advisors
Coming to the United States as a first-time international student can mean big changes. New city. New culture. New friends. Perhaps even the need to operate in a second or third language.
That is why the Gabelli School created the Global Peer Advisors program. Incoming international students are matched with returning graduate students who provide transition support throughout the entire first year. More than 90 graduate student volunteers participated last year.
Here are some things that Global Peer Advisors do:
- Provide a friendly welcome to campus
- Lead group sessions for new international students during orientation week
- Answer any questions about living in New York City and studying at Fordham
- Help with the acculturation process
Returning Students: Want to Be an Advisor?
Benefits of being a Global Peer Advisor:
Leadership experience for your résumé
- Stronger relationship-building skills
- A broader worldview and knowledge about other countries and cultures
- New international friendships and contacts
You may be an advisor if you ...
- Are enrolled in a Gabelli School MBA or MS program
- Started taking classes prior to summer 2015
- Will graduate no earlier than December 2016
- Are available during the daytime to attend orientation (late August for the fall term)
The next round of applications for Global Peer Advisors will be accepted in May 2016. For information in the meantime, contact the Student Advisory Council’s vice president of international students, Zeyang “Jenny” Gong, at email@example.com.
Incoming Students: Would You Like an Advisor?
Please contact Zeyang “Jenny” Gong at firstname.lastname@example.org.