This track prepares students for careers in one of today’s fastest-growing areas in all areas of business.
Data is crucial to business performance. It’s what allows companies to make smart, well-reasoned, informed decisions. Students who can spin management insights out of raw data will be beyond attractive to employers.
Courses in this track will teach students how to collect, clean, structure, integrate and analyze data to improve a company. Students who complete the Business Analytics sequence will be familiar with concepts, frameworks, trends, and software tools and techniques.
Students in the Business Analytics track complete six courses that are common to all information systems majors:
- INSY 3432 – Database Systems
- INSY 3433 – Business Applications Development
- INSY 3441 – Systems Analysis
- INSY 3442 – Web Applications Design and Development
- INSY 4507 – Project Management
- INSY 4800 – Global IT Strategy and Management (capstone course)
They also take four advanced information systems electives. It’s recommended that three of these four are advanced courses in the Business Analytics track, but faculty advisors can help students make individualized decisions. Suggested electives for this track include:
- INSY 4506 – Business Analytics
- INSY 4508 – Advanced Spreadsheet Methods
- INSY 4431 – Web Analytics
- INSY 4460 – Data Warehousing
While most students choose all four electives in the information systems area, up to two electives can be taken in the computer science department or other business areas with the approval of the faculty advisor.