Interdisciplinary Research Award
Call for Proposals for Support of Interdisciplinary Research
Deadline for Proposals: February 28, 2021
Proposals are solicited for support for interdisciplinary research. The objective of this funding opportunity is to provide pilot funds to stimulate interdisciplinary research. The larger objective is to increase the visibility of Fordham in interdisciplinary research, and to allow tenured and tenure-track faculty to leverage preliminary results obtained with this funding to obtain larger external awards. Thematic areas can include interdisciplinary work and collaboration in areas studied and taught at Fordham within Arts & Sciences, Gabelli School of Business, Graduate School of Education, Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education, Graduate School of Social Service, and the School of Law.
The proposal should clearly indicate how the funding will achieve one or both of the goals of improving external visibility and external funding for interdisciplinary research at Fordham. While all interdisciplinary research proposals will be given full consideration, priority for funding will be given to projects that foster collaboration across departments, and/or across colleges and schools.
The budget for the project may include:
- supplies, materials, software licenses;
- salary (or fees) for external consultants, technicians, or contractors, research assistants and graduate students;
- research related travel, but not for travel to scientific, academic or professional meetings/conferences (except in exceptional cases, e.g. where interdisciplinary conference participation is crucial to research objectives)
- costs of convening research team meetings; and,
- other justifiable research expenses.
Faculty salaries and indirect costs are not allowable expenses. Applicants may apply for $5,000 to $10,000 over a maximum of two years. Funding will be available for projects beginning May 1, 2021 and concluding by April 30, 2023. Proposals for shorter periods with lower budget amounts are also encouraged.
1. Cover Page. Must include the following information:
- Proposal title
- Name, title, departmental affiliation, address, e-mail address, and telephone number of all proposed investigators
- Designation of a Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigators
2. Abstract (250 words maximum)
3. Research plan (4 page maximum – single spaced, 12 point font, 1” margins on all sides) must include:
- Statement of scientific objectives and their significance;
- Interdisciplinary nature of the project;
- Work already completed related to the proposed work;
- Description of the research team and research setting;
- Proposed methods and plans for data analysis;
- Potential to improve external visibility with specifics;
- Potential for future grant support, including specific prospective grant opportunities.
4. Appendix materials (1 page maximum each– single spaced, 12 point font, 1” margins; do not count toward the Research Plan page limit) including:
- Research schedule and milestones;
- Relevance to mission of funding agencies;
- Letter of support from a collaborating researcher if such a partner is involved.
5. Budget and justification (1 page maximum).
6. Curriculum vitae or bio-sketch for each investigator including current grant support and limited to four pages for each investigator.
Combine all required elements listed above into a single pdf document. Name that file as follows: LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME INTERDISCIPLINARY AY2021.pdf, with the last and first name of the PI as the first terms in the filename. Then submit the application form available here: Interdisciplinary Research Award Application.
- Application receipt date: February 28, 2021
- Award announcement: March 28, 2021
We welcome the opportunity to answer questions from potential applicants. Please email The Office of Research at firstname.lastname@example.org with inquiries.
2020 Awarded Projects