Fordham-New York University Research Fellow
The Fordham-NYU Research Fellows Program will promote and expand institutional research collaborations between the two universities. In the first year, two selected Fordham faculty members (Research Fellows) will have the opportunity to work with a separate NYU scholar on a research project in the summer of 2017.
Faculty members are invited to submit nominations and self-nominations to the Dean of the school of their affiliation by January 30, 2017 with up to one page project summary and curriculum vitae. Fordham Dean from each School will be asked to submit nominations for the Program to the Chief Research Officer (CRO) by March 1, 2017. Individuals who are nominated by the Dean must submit application material as per section IV. After a review of the submissions, the CRO and Provost will recommend three Fordham faculty members to NYU’s Senior Vice Provost for Research (SVPR). By April 1, 2017, SVPR, in consultation with NYU research institutes and departments, will select two Fordham faculty members as Research Fellows. Accepted Fellows will be required to sign a NYU standard research intellectual property agreement. The summer program will be held from May 15 to August 15.
If the summer program is successful, as evidenced by the fall 2017 assessment, the Research Fellows program will continue in spring 2018. This program will not affect the Fordham Faculty Fellowship or other internal awards/grants; however, applicants cannot apply to both the NYU and Columbia Fellows programs at the same time.
Fordham applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a full time tenure-track or tenured faculty member
- Have strong research credentials that include grant activities and publications
- Have a plan for collaborating on research with a NYU scholar using resources provided by the NYU faculty member either independently or in conjunction with a NYU research institute
Fordham Faculty members are nominated by the Deans must submit the following application materials to Dr. George Hong via email@example.com by March 1, 2017:
- A one-page project summary, including objectives, project description, expected outcomes, research equipment usage, and any related expenditures,
- A two-page resume,
- A letter of support from the applicant’s Department Chair or Dean at Fordham,
- A letter from a scholar at NYU agreeing to conduct collaborative research and provide needed resources, and
- A letter of support and approval from the appropriate Department Chair or research institute director at NYU.
The Fordham-NYU Research Fellow will have access to research facilities, equipment and work space within NYU as appropriate and agreed to in advance by NYU faculty and/or the research institute director. Each research facility at NYU must be staffed with technical personnel who can provide necessary training on the facilities and equipment. The collaborating NYU faculty member will provide financial support for supplies through his or her grants, contracts, or discretionary accounts.
The Office of Research at Fordham will be responsible for providing up to $5,000 in support of the Fellow’s professional development and scholarly activities, such as local travel, meals, student assistant, conference, supplies, books, and software.
Fellows will be expected to produce scholarly publications, submit external grant proposals, develop interdisciplinary research collaboration, and/or deliver conference presentations. Fellows will also be required to submit a comprehensive report by October 1, 2017 and deliver a public presentation on the project on a Fordham campus.