Science Integrated Learning Communities
Two Science Integrated Learning Communities are available to science majors and pre-health program students. The community located in Jogues Hall is strictly for first-year students. Residents of that community occupy a freshman dorm and receive support and peer mentoring from the science-major Resident Assistants and peer tutors living on the floor. SILC brings together those students who are enrolled in science courses and want to quickly find a support network among their peers. Residents engage in science-related activities and participate in events focused on concerns of first-year science students.
The O’Hare Hall SILC community is available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are pursuing science majors or are in the pre-health program.
Typical Program Activities Offered to SILC Residents:
- Individual and group tutoring
- Review Sessions before exams
- Trip to The Bodies exhibit
- Outing to the Bronx Zoo or the New York Botanical Garden
- Community Outreach Activities
- Trip to the American Museum of Natural History
- Presentations or group discussion led by a Fordham faculty member
- Advice and Information session from current pre-health profession applicant