Skip to main content

Incoming Exchange Students

Welcome incoming exchange students!

#YouAreWelcomeHere from Fordhamcoms on Vimeo.

Building - SM

Fordham University has partnered with numerous universities across the globe, and through these partnerships, international students have the opportunity to study at Fordham University for one semester or one academic year. To participate in the exchange program, please confirm that your home university is currently a partner with Fordham University for undergraduate exchange.

If your home university is not currently a partner with Fordham University, please visit the Office of Admissions' page regarding visiting international students.

Before starting the application, please read through the following questions and answers.

What is the difference between Rose Hill and Lincoln Center?

New York City is made up of five boroughs: Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island. Fordham College Rose Hill and Gabelli School of Business are located on the same campus in the Bronx, and Fordham College Lincoln Center is located in Manhattan.

The Rose Hill campus is the original campus of Fordham University. It is a traditional college campus, with green lawns, trees, large residence halls, sports facilities, and outdoor American football and baseball stadiums. The campus has the benefits of being located next to the NY Botanical Garden, the Bronx Zoo, and famed Arthur Avenue. It's a short train ride into Grand Central Terminal, in midtown Manhattan, or students can take the Fordham Ram Van shuttle between campuses.

The Lincoln Center campus is located in Midtown Manhattan, just a couple of blocks from Central Park. It is an urban campus, with a public park space in the middle of tall campus buildings.

What are the deadlines to apply?

Fordham University has two semesters: Fall (August - December) and Spring (January - May).

If you have been nominated by your home institution to study at Fordham for the fall semester or academic year (August - May), you must apply by March 1st.

If you have been nominated by your home institution to study at Fordham for the spring semester, you must apply by October 1st.

More information regarding arrival dates, university holidays, and final exams will be made available to applicants upon acceptance.

What are the requirements for admission?

Only students who have been nominated by their home institution to attend Fordham as part of a standing exchange agreement are allowed to complete the application. If you are not sure if your home university is a Fordham partner, please contact your home university's student exchange/mobility office.

Applicants must submit* transcripts from all university study. A GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 grading scale is required.

Applicants must submit* proof of their English language proficiency and must meet the following qualifications:

  • TOEFL iBT: 90+
  • TOEFL PBT: 575+
  • IELTS: 7.0+
  • PTE-A (Pearson Test of English-Academic): 62+
  • CAE (Cambridge English Advanced): 67+

*You will see more instructions for submitting these items once you begin the application.

Will I need a visa?

All students who do not have a United States passport will be required to apply for a J-1 Visitor Visa. More information about the visa process and application will be made available during the application process.

As part of the J-1 visa requirements (click on "Insurance"), you must have sufficient medical insurance coverage. You will need to provide proof of your medical insurance coverage upon your arrival to Fordham University in order to waive the Fordham insurance that will be charged to your student account. If you do not waive the Fordham Insurance plan by the deadline, you will be charged for the insurance and required to pay the charge prior to the release of your Fordham transcript.

What costs should I be aware of?

Tuition: Incoming exchange students will pay the cost of their home institution.

Housing: Incoming exchange students can apply for on-campus housing. Information on housing rates can be found here.

Insurance: Insurance will be billed to you automatically. Instructions to waive the insurance and plan information is available here.  If you do not waive the insurance, then you will be charged for it.

Other Fees: Please visit Fordham University's Tuition and Fees page for additional information.

What classes can I take?

As an undergraduate exchange student at Fordham University, you are permitted to take any course within the college to which you have been admitted*.

Fordham University has three colleges:

  • Fordham College Rose Hill (FCRH)
  • Fordham College Lincoln Center (FCLC)
  • Gabelli School of Business - Rose Hill campus ONLY (GSB)

Please review the list of undergraduate degree programs available. You must seek special permission to take coursework outside of the college to which you have been admitted.

Please contact the Fordham Office of International and Study Abroad Programs at for a list of courses that have been available to exchange students in the past.

You must register for a regular full-time course load abroad which is the equivalent of 15-18 credits upon your arrival at Fordham University. You will be allowed to add or drop courses up to the end of the first week of classes.  These changes can be made online through your my.Fordham account, to which you will be given access a few weeks after your acceptance.  Alternatively, you can meet with your assigned academic advisor to make these changes upon your arrival to Fordham.

Note: You will be admitted to the corresponding Fordham college based on your academic records at your home institution, course selection and availbilty

Is on-campus housing available?

On-campus housing is available on both campuses on a first-come, first serve basis. Once you have been accepted by Fordham University, you will be given information regarding on-campus housing, should you wish to apply. More information regarding the various on-campus housing options and the cost is available through the Fordham Office of Residence Life. Please note that housing is not guaranteed.

You are not required to live in Fordham housing and are permitted to arrange your own housing. Unfortunately, Fordham University does not provide assistance to students searching for their own housing in New York City. However, upon acceptance, you will be provided with One to World's alternative housing options in NYC, The International Student's Guide to Living in New York City, which will provide helpful information and tips for searching for the right place to live.

Once I have been nominated by my home institution, how do I apply?

Once you have been officially nominated by your home institutions, please click the "Apply Now" button. You may only apply through this link if your home institution is currently a Fordham University undergraduate exchange partner.

In order to submit the application, you will be required to select your home institution. If you do not see your home institution as an option in the application, please contact your home institution's student exchange or mobility office.

Application for Certificate of Financial Eligibility

AFCOE Application