- "Living Humanities" Ph.D. for the 21st Century Project Grant Proposal
- What Is a Doctorate? Online Proceedings of the 2016 Global Summit (Tenth Annual Strategic Leaders Global Summit on Graduate Education, 15-17 November 2016, University of São Paulo, Brazil)
- Cassuto, Leonard. The Graduate School Mess: What Caused It and How We Can Fix It. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2015.
- Cohen, Dan, and Tom Scheinfeldt, eds. Hacking the Academy: New Approaches to Scholarship and Teaching from Digital Humanities. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2013.
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G., Harriet Zuckerman, Jeffrey A. Groen and Sharon M. Brucker. Educating Scholars: Doctoral Education in the Humanities. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2010.
- Envisioning the Future of Doctoral Education: Preparing Stewards of the Discipline, ed. Chris M. Golde and George E. Walker. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
- Posselt, Julie R. Inside Graduate Admissions: Merit, Diversity, and Faculty Gatekeeping. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2015.
- Smith, Sidonie. Manifesto for the Humanities: Transforming Doctoral Education in Good Enough Times. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2015
- Ball, David M., William Gleason, and Nancy J. Peterson. “From All Sides: Rethinking Professionalization in a Changing Job Market.” Pedagogy 15, no. 1 (2015): 103–18.
- Berman, Russell A. “Essay Defending the MLA Report on Doctoral Education.” Inside Higher Ed, July 21, 2014.
- Bryant, Rebecca A., and Megan Pincus Kajitani. “A Ph.D. and a Failure.” Chronicle of Higher Education, March 24, 2005.
- Doyle, Benjamin, Elizabeth Hopwood, Jim McGrath, and Abby Mullen. “Graduate Training Where Digital Scholarship and Early American Studies Meet.” Common-Place: The Journal of Early American Life 16.4 (2016).
- Grafton, Anthony T., and James Grossman. “No More Plan B: A Very Modest Proposal for Graduate Programs in History.” Perspectives on History, October 2011.
- Grossman, James and Emily Swafford. “Graduate Education Reconsidered.” Perspectives on History: The Newsmagazine of the American Historical Association, April 2016.
- Klost, Peter H., Debra Rudder Lohe, and Chuck Sweetman. “Rethinking and Unthinking the Graduate Seminar.” Pedagogy 15, no. 1 (2015): 19–30.
- Krebs, Paula. “A New Humanities Ph.D.” Inside Higher Ed, May 24, 2010.
- Pszczolkowski, Amy. “A Message to Next-Gen Humanities Ph.D.s” Inside Higher Ed, November 21, 2016.
- Rose, Jonathan. “Rethinking Graduate Education in History.” Perspectives on History: The Newsmagazine of the American Historical Association, February 2009.
- Allum, Jeffrey R., Julia D. Kent, and Maureen Terese McCarthy. Understanding Ph.D. Career Pathways for Program Improvement. Council of Graduate Schools, 2014.
- Alonso, Carlos J., Russell A. Berman, Sylvie Debevec Henning, Lanisa Kitchener, Bethany Nowviskie, Elizabeth Schwartz Crane, Sidonie Smith, and Kathleen Woodward. Report of the MLA Task Force on Doctoral Study in Modern Language and Literature. Modern Language Association, May 2014.
- Barsky, Robert, Jay Clayton, Lesley Cormack, Rebecca Duclos, Geoffrey Harpham, Michael Jemtrud, Martin Kreiswirth, et al. White Paper on the Future of the PhD in the Humanities. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, December 2013.
- Bender, Thomas, Philip M. Katz, Colin Palmer, and the Committee on Graduate Education of the American Historical Association. “The Education of Historians for the Twenty-First Century.” Committee on Graduate Education of the American Historical Association, 2004.
- Cassuto, Leonard and Weisbuch, Robert. "Reforming Doctoral Education, 1990 to 2015: Recent Initiatives and Future Prospects." Report submitted to The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, June 2016.
- Judd, Cristle Collins. "Revitalizing Graduate Education." The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, September 20, 2016.
- Strum, Susan; Eatman, Timothy; Saltmarch, John; and Bush, Adam, "Full Participation: Building the Architecture for Diversity and Community Engagement in Higher Education" (2011). Imagining America. Paper 17.
- Council of Graduate Schools and Educational Testing Service. Pathways Through Graduate School and Into Careers. Report from the Commission on Pathways Through Graduate School and Into Careers. Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service, 2012.