III. The Inspiration and Challenge of New York City
Fordham’s main campuses are located in the heart of the most international city in the United States, the only U.S. metropolis among the world’s ten largest megacities. We believe there is no better place on earth to learn and grow. But our location must stand for something more than proximity to opportunity, no matter how rich and exciting those opportunities may be. Fordham must embed itself even deeper in the fabric of New York, define and promote its relationships with the city in distinctive ways, and be the voice of expertise and empathy for the growing number of disenfranchised residents. Our cleareyed appraisals of New York’s present challenges and compassionate solutions for its future are urgently needed.
A. Deepen Student Engagement with New York City and the Metropolitan Region
- Enhance avenues to connect teaching, learning, and student development with world-class New York City opportunities for internships, service learning, career development, collaborative research, and civic engagement, as well as for intercultural exploration, recreation, cultural life, and entertainment.
- Expand opportunities for every student to perform meaningful community service and service learning that enrich their educational experience and contribute to the quality of life in our neighboring communities.
B. Learn from and Contribute to the Development of Our Surrounding Neighborhoods
- Harness Fordham’s exceptional academic resources in business, law, humanities, and communications and media to build a synergistic array of undergraduate and graduate/professional programs at the Lincoln Center campus in partnership with leading New York City organizations.
- Strengthen Fordham’s unique New York City location by creating at the Lincoln Center campus a welcoming center of activity, to include an arts and multimedia complex, designed to invite and strengthen our connection to the immediate neighborhood and our extended alumni community.
- Foster the quality of community life around all Fordham campuses and sites in collaboration with community members and leaders, pursuing opportunities in research, teaching, and service that benefit both the surrounding neighborhoods and the University.
- Build inter-institutional strengths and foster community development through the Bronx Science Consortium, advancing selective areas of research and teaching that engage Fordham students and promote access to STEM education in the Bronx community.