International Diploma in Operational Humanitarian Assistance
Made up of four intensive one-week courses, the International Diploma in Operational Humanitarian Assistance will provide you with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to manage a humanitarian response to a crisis situation.
Offered by Fordham’s Institute for International Humanitarian Affairs and designed for active aid workers, our courses maximize your exposure to best practices with a minimal amount of time spend away from your field operation. By completing this advanced certificate, you’ll deepen your understanding of the theoretical and practical implications of humanitarian assistance in today’s evolving environment.
You’ll take three core courses:
- Humanitarian Logistics, where you’ll learn and develop methods for improving delivery and support
- Community Participation and Mobilization in Emergency Response, where you’ll explore how to provide a range of basic services that involve, engage, and empower local communities and contribute to a sustainable humanitarian response
- Humanitarian Negotiation, where you’ll practice negotiation skills through scenario-based exercises
You’ll also focus on an area of specialization in one of several electives:
- Education in Emergencies
- Forced Migration
- Mental Health in Complex Emergencies
- Urban Disaster, Vulnerability, and Displacement: Humanitarian Challenges
- Certified by the New York State Education Department
- Eligible for eight graduate-level academic credits that are accepted toward our Master of Arts in International Humanitarian Action (MIHA) and may be transferred to other academic institutions
- Private loans or payment plans may be available
- Program is not eligible for U.S. federal aid programs<