Clare Boothe Luce Summer Research Scholarship Program
Undergraduate Summer Funding
The Clare Boothe Luce (CBL) Program was established to encourage women to pursue graduate education and careers in teaching and research in disciplines having the lowest participation of women, namely physics, math, computer science, and chemistry. It is the single largest private source of funding for women in science and engineering. In its first 25 years, the CBL program has awarded grants totaling over $150 million.
Under this program, Fordham is able to provide summer research scholarships to outstanding female undergraduates in the sciences to encourage and facilitate graduate education and further their research. Scholars are required to have a faculty mentor.
Applications are open to highly qualified full-time female U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are not intending to pursue further education in the medical sciences, and will graduate in 2022 or 2023, with one of the following majors:
- Biological Sciences
- Computer & Information Science
- Environmental Science
- Integrative Neuroscience
- Natural Science
- Physics or Engineering Physics
Scholarships are 3-month summer awards that include:
- $3,800 stipend
- up to a $1,000 professional development fund to be used by the following June for supplies, some travel, research, etc. This fund is handled by reimbursement of expenses and requires pre-approval and proof of payment; the funds cannot be used for local travel or travel outside the United States
In accepting the award, the student agrees to:
- continue in her major
- maintain a 3.0 GPA
- continue research in her field
- write a progress report by September 1st on summer's activity and progress
- report on outcomes of her research and encouragement of women in the sciences during the year
- after graduating from Fordham, give a 5-year follow-up report on career and educational achievements
In addition to basic personal information, the application should include a brief explanation of your plans after you graduate from Fordham, a project description, a budget for your project, and a letter of recommendation from one Fordham faculty member.
The application submission deadline (including all required material, attachments, and recommendations) is Friday, March 6, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Maura Mast (firstname.lastname@example.org).