Skip to main content

Recent Updates Fordham campuses remain physically closed per New York Pause, but all offices are staffed and operating remotely. Full Details

Statistics

July 6 - 10
Instructor
: Chris Olsen

We will provide coverage of the four major themes of AP Statistics: exploratory analysis, planning and executing studies, probability and random variables, and statistical inference. The use of technology will be stressed and demonstrated during the week. I also will have a freeware statistical software program to give out during the week – and you can take it home and give to your cherubs! (Be sure to bring your calculators and a flash drive.)

The contents of the AP Statistics course have been re-organized from the four major themes (Data Analysis, Planning a Study, Probability, and Inference). The course is now packaged into nine Units, with a huge increase in specificity and detail about what your students will be expected to know and do. Fortunately, 95% of the content has not changed; and then there is the other 5%. There are also changes in the exam and rubric structure, all of which will be presented. After a review / introduction of the nine-unit organization we will plunge into the excitement(!) of teaching AP Statistics. Those of you who are experienced AP Statistics teachers will not be bored; I will bring lots of take-it-into-the-class-on-Monday resources and activities. This summer I would like to focus a bit more than usual in the ideas of random selection and assignment, power, and regression (leverage, outliers, influence.)

About the InstructorChris Olsen, instructor of the Statistics AP Institute

Chris is a past member (twice) of the AP® Statistics Test Development Committee, and has served as a table leader and question leader for the AP® Statistics exam for 14 years. He taught statistics at George Washington High School in Cedar Rapids, IA, for over 25 years, and AP® Statistics from its inception until 2007. He is now an assistant professor of mathematics and statistics at Grinnell College, teaching calculus, experimental design, and elementary statistics classes. He graduated from Iowa State University with degrees in mathematics and philosophy, and in his graduate work concentrated on statistics, computer programming, psychometrics, and test development.

He has been involved in national workshops and conferences, mostly relating to statistics, for over 30 years. He has reviewed materials for The Mathematics Teacher (MT) journal, the AP® central web site, The American Statistician (TAS) journal, and the Journal of the American Statistical Association (JASA); he is also on the editorial panel of the Teaching Statistics journal. He is co-author, with Roxy Peck and Jay Devore, of the text Introduction to Statistics & Data Analysis, now in its 6th edition; and co-author, with Roxy Peck, of Statistics Learning from Data, now in its 2nd edition. He authored and edited the original AP® Statistics Teacher's Guide, and three special topics sections in AP® Statistics summer workshop materials.

Current projects involve moderating the AP® Statistics Teacher Community, and writing computer programs to support teaching statistics in AP® Statistics and AP® Biology classes.

*College Board®, AP®, Advanced Placement Program® and Pre-AP® are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.