Ph.D. in Religious Education
Integrating theology and education as an academic discipline, the Ph.D. in religious education program will prepare you to be a leader and a scholar capable of contributing substantive research and scholarship to the field. You’ll develop a deep understanding of the field’s interdisciplinary nature by exploring the religious and educational development of children, youth, and adults; historical and contemporary approaches to religious education; and the personal, social, and communal dimensions of faith. Grounded in the Jesuit spirit of inquiry, this program focuses on the Christian religious tradition while also examining the role of interreligious education.
- Pursue a rich, comprehensive curriculum that emphasizes critical reflection.
- Teach and learn with our renowned faculty and international students from more than twenty countries.
- Take courses at the member schools of the New York Theological Consortium.
- Students work closely with a faculty mentor.
- For students who have not earned a master’s degree, the curriculum requires satisfactory completion of 24 courses (72 semester credits). More credits may be required of students who must take additional doctoral mentoring seminars until their dissertation defense.
- Advanced standing will be granted to students with prior graduate level degrees in religious education or related fields. Accommodated and individualized minimum degree requirements will be determined upon admission by the program director.
- Full-time students typically finish course work in two years; however, you may pursue this degree either as a full-time or part-time student.
- Completion and defense of a doctoral dissertation is required.
Our graduates go on to a variety of teaching and leadership roles in universities, secondary schools, dioceses, parishes, faith-based institutions, and nonprofit organizations.
- Catholic University of America
- College of St. Benedict
- College of Saint Elizabeth
- Daugavpils University (Latvia)
- Delta State University (Abraka, Nigeria)
- Dublin City University (Dublin, Ireland)
- Fairfield University
- Felician University
- Florida A&M University
- Fordham University
- Iona College
- Kaduna State University (Nigeria)
- Loyola University New Orleans
- Marian University
- Marymount Manhattan College
- New York Theological Seminary
- Nyack College
- St. Francis College
- St. John's University
- St. Joseph’s Seminary
- Saint Paul University (Ottawa, Canada)
- York St. John University (York, England)
- University of Latvia (Riga, Latvia)
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Scranton
Secondary Education Placements
- Fordham Preparatory School
- Iona Preparatory School
- Preston High School
- Saint Margaret Catholic School
- Archdiocese of New York
- Archdiocese of Los Angeles
- Archdiocese of San Antonio
- Archdiocese of Singapore
- Archdiocese of Vhrbosna (Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Diocese of Brooklyn
- Diocese of El Paso
- Diocese of Hong Kong
- Diocese of Melbourne (Australia)
- Diocese of Rockville Center
Learn More About This Distinctive Program