Real Estate Financial Modeling REAL6001
Mon. Tue. Wed. 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., July 5-7, 2022. (three in-class sessions).
Beginning with key real estate financial modeling terminology, common Excel keystrokes and basic real estate financial models, this intensive course progresses to more complex exercises to challenge critical thinking skills and to develop best practices. Students learn to employ Time Value of Money principles and Excel functions, tools, formulas, and shortcuts to arrive at real estate investment decisions. Students prepare income and expense models and amortization schedules while progressing forward to direct capitalization and discounted cash flow (DCF) analyses. Common financial ratios used in commcerical real estate will also be discussed. The course will also emphasize effective presentation of data in Excel.
Learning outcomes include:
• ApplyingTime Value of Money concepts
• Manipulating and interpreting key formulas in Excel
• Developing a working real estate financial model, given a set of changing assumptions
• Identifying essential modeling requirements for multifamily and commercial properties
• Developing a multi-year financial model and determining levered and unlevered returns
• Designing a financial model that is visually presentable for business purposes