Distressed Debt Conference Schedule
Distressed Debt: The Ultimate Value Investing Asset Class
The United States is in the longest economic recovery in its history. However, persistent and significant macro risks, including a trade war with China and structural and fundamental issues within credit markets, are setting up a cycle that will inevitably present a large and attractive distressed credit opportunity. This half-day conference is geared towards industry professionals who want to learn about one of the last true value investing asset classes—distressed debt.
1:30 p.m. – 2 p.m.
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Introduction to the conference
- Review of today’s credit markets, why the next cycle is around the corner, and why it will create great opportunities for those who are disciplined and have access to capital
- Overview of distressed credit investing
- Case study
Presenter: Michael Gatto, partner, Silver Point Capital and adjunct professor at Columbia Business School and the Fordham University Gabelli School of Business
3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Women of credit
Our panelists will discuss their views of the market and the challenges of rising to the top of a traditionally male-dominated industry.
- Ellen Carr, adjunct professor at Columbia Business School; co-author, Women in Money Management; principal, portfolio manager at Weaver C. Barksdale and Associates, a majority-woman-owned investment manager
- Carla Casella, managing director at JPM High Yield Research. Ranked in top three analysts by Institutional Investor in three separate sectors: retail, consumer products, and food.
- Natasha Labovitz, partner and chair of the Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization Department at Debevoise & Plimpton; named “Best in Insolvency & Restructuring” by Euromoney Legal Media Group at the Americas Women in Business Law Awards in 2018 and selected as “Dealmaker of the Year” by The American Lawyer in 2015
- Ivona Smith, managing director at Drivetrain, LLC, Board Representation & Litigation, liquidation, and general unsecured creditors trust. Currently independent board member of The Weinstein Company. Formerly a co-founder and manager of a hedge fund with an 11-year track record specializing in investing in distressed debt and equities.
4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Running a hedge fund or a restructuring business
Our panelists will discuss the markets, the challenges of running a distressed fund or restructuring business today, and the opportunities in the current environment and for the next several years.
- Adam Cohen, managing partner at Caspian Capital
- Mark DeNatale, partner and head of special situations at CVC Capital
- Vivian Lau, founder and managing partner at One Tusk Investment Partners
- Bruce Mendelsohn, partner and head of Perella Weinberg’s Restructuring Advisory Business
- Parag Vora, founder and portfolio manager at HG Vora Capital Management
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Breaking into the distressed debt business and accelerating your career
Are you are trying to get a junior analyst position, transform from junior analyst to senior analyst, or a seasoned investment professional thinking about your next move? This panel is designed to give you great insights from many perspectives, including a top headhunting firm that places candidates at hedge funds, head of recruiting of a major firm, and three investment professionals at various stages of their careers (junior analyst/senior analyst/hedge fund founder and portfolio manager).
- Robert Franz, GABELLI ’95, founder and chief investment officer at Arbour Lane Capital
- Taylor Montague, senior analyst at Silver Point Capital
- Conor O’Shea, GABELLI ’17, fixed income sales at BTIG
- Leah Trabich, partner at Henkel Search Partners
- Amra Garcia-Tunon, head of human resources and senior recruiter at various hedge funds
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Drinks and networking