IT Resources Remote Access Policy
The purpose of this policy is to define standards for minimizing security risks that may result from unauthorized remote access to the University’s IT Resources.
This IT policy, and all policies referenced herein, shall apply to all members of the University community, including faculty, students, administrative officials, staff, alumni, authorized guests, delegates, and independent contractors (the “User(s)” or “you”) who use, access, or otherwise employ, locally or remotely, the University’s IT Resources, whether individually controlled, shared, stand-alone, or networked.
- Users must only use remote access for approved business or academic support.
- Users who need remote desktop access to their University desktop (e.g., to work from home, access from a conference) must use University-approved software, LogMeIn, provided by IT Customer Care.
- The use of remote access software cannot be self-approved.
- You must make a request through IT Customer Care.
- Other than remote desktop access or VPN, users requesting remote access need approval from the University Information Security Office (UISO).
- Unless Fordham IT provides the software, installing remote access software is prohibited.
- The UISO may remove any unauthorized remote software installed on the University’s IT Resources.
- All remote access is subject to audit per the Log Review Policy and Logging Standards Policy.
- Users must follow the password and authentication policies per the Password Management Policy and the Acceptable Uses of IT Infrastructure and Resources Policy.
- Users with remote access privileges must abide by the Dual-Homed Network Policy.
- Authorized remote User access provisioning and deprovisioning must follow the Provisioning and Deprovisioning Policy.
- Remote access must be activated only when needed and must be deactivated immediately after no longer required.
Desktop, for this policy, includes but is not limited to laptops, notebooks, or any “personal computer” that can be accessed remotely.
IT Resources include computing, networking, communications, application, telecommunications systems, infrastructure, hardware, software, data, databases, personnel, procedures, physical facilities, cloud-based vendors, Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors, and any related materials and services.
Related Policies and Procedures
- Acceptable Uses of IT Infrastructure and Resources Policy
- Dual-Homed Network Policy
- Log Review Policy
- Logging Standards
- Password Management Policy
- Provisioning and Deprovisioning Policy
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
|Responsible Person||Director, IT Risk and Data Integrity|
|Approval Date||November 13, 2019|
|1.1||11/20/2020||Annual review edits added related documents|
Policy Disclaimer Statement
Deviations from policies, procedures, or guidelines published and approved by the University Information Security Office (UISO) may only be done cooperatively between the UISO and the requesting entity with sufficient time to allow for appropriate risk analysis, documentation, and possible presentation to authorized University representatives. Failure to adhere to UISO written policies may be met with University sanctions.