Desktop Remote Access Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure proper control when accessing any University desktops from any other location.
This IT policy, and all policies referenced herein, shall apply to all members of the University community including faculty, students, administrative officials, staff, alumni, authorized guests, delegates, and independent contractors (the “User(s)” or “you”) who use, access, or otherwise employ, locally or remotely, the University’s IT Resources, whether individually controlled, shared, stand-alone, or networked.
- Users requesting remote access must have their Vice President, a direct report to Vice President, or Dean’s approval.
- Requests for remote access software cannot be self-approved.
- Users at the Vice President, a direct report to Vice President, or Dean’s level requesting access, need approval from the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
- Fordham IT manages the acceptable University remote desktop access software.
- Users who need remote access to their University desktop (e.g., to work from home, access from a conference) must use University approved software installed by Fordham IT Customer Care.
- Unless Fordham IT provides the software, installing remote access software on desktops is prohibited.
- The University's Information Security Office (UISO) removes any unauthorized remote desktop software installed on the University’s IT Resources.
Desktop, for this policy, includes but is not limited to, laptops, notebooks, or any “personal computer” that can be accessed remotely.
IT Resources include computing, networking, communications, application, and telecommunications systems, infrastructure, hardware, software, data, databases, personnel, procedures, physical facilities, cloud-based vendors, Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors, and any related materials and services.
|Responsible Person||Director, IT Risk and Data Integrity|
|Approval Date||May 22, 2018|
|1.1||04/22/2013||Added policy statement about IT supports functions outside of Fordham IT.|
|1.2||01/15/2016||Cleaned up typos, changed the “Related Policy” language on the footer to reflect current definition and made format changes so it may be placed on the new website.|
|2.0||01/08/2018||Updated with the new template. Updated scope. Added Definitions section. Removed callouts to specific products in the policy and instead noted products must be deemed acceptable by Fordham IT.|
|2.0.1||05/22/2018||Updated disclaimer statement|
Policy Disclaimer Statement
Deviations from policies, procedures, or guidelines published and approved by the University Information Security Office (UISO) may only be done cooperatively between the UISO and the requesting entity with sufficient time to allow for appropriate risk analysis, documentation, and possible presentation to authorized University representatives. Willful failure to adhere to UISO written policies may be met with University sanctions.