IIHA The Refuge Press Internship
The Humanitarian Innovation and Design Intern will work under the close supervision of the IIHA Executive Director to assist with the continued development of the publishing arm of the IIHA, The Refuge Press. The intern will help with all processes of the publication of books, including reading, editing, graphics and marketing. The intern will have the opportunity to learn, develop, and sharpen his/her knowledge of the most important issues and challenges in humanitarian action; to hone his/her skills in networking, and to leverage broad partnerships for social impact. The intern may also be involved in designing and developing independent projects and contributing to public documents and communication materials for IIHA and The Refuge Press. Additionally, the intern may assist the IIHA Executive Director, Senior Fellows and academic staff with the International Diploma in Humanitarian Assistance, a 4-week intensive residential program for mid-career humanitarian professionals.
- Identify potential new publications, working with the Refuge Press board
- Read, edit, and prepare books for publication
- Edit and possibly create content and marketing material for The Refuge Press
- Assist in drafting and editing funding proposals, publication submissions, and donor reports
- Support the logistical planning and promotion of The Refuge Press publications
- Undergraduate student with experience or academic concentration in any humanities program
- Proven writing and editing capabilities
- Outstanding researching skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask and complete projects ahead of or by deadlines
- Driven by curiosity, humanity, courtesy and a strong proactive attitude
Assignment Start Date: All internships are unpaid and last for the duration of the semester. We ask that all interns commit at least 15-20 hours each week.
How to Apply: Places are limited. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Brendan Cahill, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.