SSG Summer 2020 Call for Proposals
Note: If you are facing an urgent need, hardship, or food insecurity caused by the COVID-19 crisis, please contact Dean Schwind (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dean Kelly (email@example.com). They will work with you to identify resources and support.
Summer 2020 SSG Award details
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, GSA and GSAS are partnering to offer this one-time call for proposals for summer 2020 SSG grants to support projects and assist GSAS students in maintaining continuity and momentum in their research and other related academic endeavors that may have been affected by the pandemic.
While typically SSGs provide support for conference, research, and alternative learning activities and are awarded on a cost-reimbursement basis, the Summer 2020 SSG awards represent an exceptional grant opportunity and will be disbursed in a single payment.
Please consider the following in advance of submitting your application:
- Summer 2020 SSG funds are limited.
- Awards may range from U.S. $300 to U.S. $3,000, and will be supported by a statement of financial need.
- Ideal proposals are those that demonstrate how the proposed project or work enhances the applicant’s academic and/or professional development in areas related to their research interests, and that can be carried out remotely and completed without reliance on either domestic or international travel.
- Completed proposals are due on or before Friday, 15 May 2020, at 5 p.m. ET. Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Students matriculated in a GSAS degree program through summer 2020 or a later academic term; who are in good academic standing (please refer to §7.4.1 and §7.4.2 in the GSAS Academic Policies and Procedures Guidebook for details); and who have paid their GSA student fees are eligible to apply. Early Admissions students are not eligible for the SSG awards.
- GSAS students who are not recipients of other sources of remuneration or funding during summer 2020 will be prioritized. (e.g. including but not limited to Alumni Dissertation Fellows, GSAS Summer Fellows, GSAS Summer Graduate Assistantships, or other program/department-level fellowships/scholarships).
How to Apply
Before you apply, please complete the ACH Request Form if you have not already done so. Please attach your completed ACH form directly to your Summer 2020 SSG Application. Award recipients who have signed up for ACH will receive the awards directly into their bank accounts.
Please complete the Summer 2020 SSG Application and attach all required documents.
Completed applications must include:
- A brief (400-500 word) narrative articulating in clear terms the value and feasibility of the proposed project or activity, and indicating the connection between the proposed initiative and the outcomes expected regarding the student’s academic and/or professional development;
- A statement of financial need outlining an applicant’s expected financial situation for the summer and, if applicable, any anticipated costs/expenses associated with the proposal (150-250 words); and
- An updated resume or curriculum vitae.
Review and Award Notification
- Proposals will be reviewed holistically by a selection committee comprising faculty and GSAS students.
- Applicants will be notified in late May 2020 of the status of their proposals.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.