GSAS Policy Updates and Resources Admissions
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) is keenly aware of the current global crisis created by the COVID-19 virus. We understand that the situation may pose challenges as you navigate the application process. If you are having any difficulty submitting your completed application, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (718) 817-4416. Please note the following accommodations we are making to support our applicants through our application process:
Application Deadline Extensions:
- GSAS Admissions will consider requests for extensions of application deadlines on a case-by-case basis. If you find you need additional time to submit your application beyond the posted deadline for your chosen program, please email us at email@example.com with the subject "Application Deadline Extension Request."
Graduate Record Exam (GRE):
GSAS Admissions is working with dedicated Educational Testing Service (ETS) staff who are assisting us on all matters related to our applicant pool:
- Provisional admission for select GSAS applicants may be granted in cases where an applicant’s file is deemed "admissible" by the faculty review committee, pending receipt of a verified official GRE score. If you are offered provisional admission, your admission letter will state the provision and how to satisfy it. Admissions will work with applicants and, where possible, will coordinate with the ETS to assist in obtaining verified GRE scores.
- GRE Waivers Based on holistic review and assessment of an applicant’s academic background, preparedness for graduate study, and/or relevant professional experience, some GSAS applicants who are not able to submit GRE scores may be eligible for a waiver of the GRE, subject to the approval of the Dean of GSAS. To request consideration for a waiver of the GRE, please email Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “GRE Test Waiver Request.” Requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. GRE waivers are NOT guaranteed. Admissions may require additional information from you before considering your request. Applicants requesting a GRE waiver will be informed of a decision within 10-15 business days of submitting the request.
- Duolingo English Test (DET). For international applicants, we now accept the DET as an assessment of your English language competency (in addition to the TOEFL and IELTS). GSAS has set the minimum score for proficiency on this test at 120.
- If admitted, please submit your Intent to Enroll and enrollment deposit as soon as possible to begin the process to secure your student visa.
GSAS Admissions will continue to communicate with and assist applicants affected by ETS test center closures due to Covid-19. If you need additional assistance with your application to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.