Research and Teaching Areas
Race; Law and Biomedical Ethics; Law and Identity Formation; Drug Regulation; Health Law; Legislation and Regulation, Law and Inequality
Kimani Paul-Emile is an associate professor of law and faculty co-director of the Fordham Law School Stein Center for Law & Ethics. In 2011, she was awarded a Public Health Law Research grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the nation’s leading philanthropy on health and health care. In 2013, Dr. Paul-Emile was selected by the Greenwall Foundation to receive a Faculty Scholar Award in Bioethics for 2013-2016: an award intended to enable outstanding junior faculty members to carry out original research to help resolve important policy and clinical dilemmas at the intersection of ethics and the life sciences.
Prior to pursuing her doctoral degree, Dr. Paul-Emile served as associate counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law, and practiced civil rights law at the Center for Constitutional Rights, where she was a National Association for Public Interest Law (now Equal Justice Works) Fellow and later the William Moses Kunstler Fellow for Racial Justice. Dr. Paul-Emile also served as senior faculty development consultant at the New York University Center for Teaching Excellence.
- Foreword: Critical Race Theory and Empirical Methods, 83 FORDHAM L. REV. 101 (2015)
- Beyond Title VII: Rethinking Race, Ex-Offender Status, and Employment Discrimination in the Information Age, 100 VIRGINIA L. REV.893(2014)
- Patient Racial Preferences and the Medical Culture of Accommodation, 60 UCLA L. REV. 462 (2012)
- The Regulation of Race in Science, 80 GEO. WASH. L. REV. 1115 (2012)
- Making Sense of Drug Regulation, 19 CORNELL J.L. & PUB. POL'Y 691 (2010)
- New York University, PhD
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD
- Brown University, BA, with Honors
- Lawyers of Color’s “50 Under 50 List” (2014)
a comprehensive catalog of the nation’s most influential minority law professors, 50 years of age or younger, making an impact in legal education.
- Faculty Scholar Award in Bioethics, Greenwall Foundation (2013-2016)
- Public Health Law Research Grant, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2011-2013)
- Health Law Scholar, American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics and the St. Louis University Law School Center for Health Law Studies (2010)