Social Work License
Take your career to the next level with a social work license in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut.
If you’re considering moving out of state after graduation, you must meet that state's requirements.
To register for the LMSW examination in the state of New York:
Send the completed Form 2 to:
Fordham University Enrollment Group
113 West 60th Street, Room 215
New York, NY 10023
The Registrar will verify your graduation date and send it directly to Albany. An official transcript is not needed, and there is no fee for this.
- New York State LMSW License Requirements.
- Complete the Mandated Reporter Training Course online. This 2-hour web-based online training course can be completed at any time, 24/7. Users have 30 days to complete the course. Progress is saved at the end of each section, so you can complete it at your own pace. *Note: This is only a requirement for New York licensure.
- Complete Form 1: Application for Licensure and First Registration.
- Once you have graduated from the MSW program, complete Form 2: Certification of Professional Education.
- Once the Office of the Professions has your application, fee and verification of graduation, they will send you a letter of approval to take the exam.
- Before you schedule your LMSW examination date, review the instructions in the Association of Social Work Boards' Examination Candidate Handbook. The LMSW exam you must take is the Masters Exam. Register for it online at the Association of Social Work Boards' registration page.
LMSW practice tests are available onsite at the Manhattan and Westchester campuses or you can borrow a laptop with the test for practice at home for up to three days. A $40 refundable deposit is due when a laptop is signed out.
LMSW Online Practice Information
Manhattan Campus - Room #712
- Available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. & Saturday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. (except during summer session)
- Sign on is required as it is an online based exam, please see someone in Room 726 for assistance.
- Please limit your use to two hours
Westchester Campus - Room #217 & #220
- Available daily on one of the computers in the computer lab
- Please limit use to two hours during peak times
- Passcodes are on the computer
For further information, contact:
Note: You must apply and be approved to register for the exam by the Board in your state prior to registration.
To register for the LMSW examination:
- Review the ASWB Examination Candidate Handbook.
- Follow the instructions on the ASWB's Online Exam Registration page and register for the Masters Examination.
The Masters Examination content outline is:
- Human Development Diversity and Behavior in the Environment: 28%
- Assessment and Intervention Planning: 24%
- Direct and Indirect Practice: 21%
- Professional Relationships, Values and Ethics: 27%