Master of Social Work
Ranked in the top 10 percent in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, Fordham University’s Master of Social Work (MSW) program will prepare you to engage effectively across all areas of social work throughout your career.
The world of social work is complex and changing. That’s why we’ve developed a dynamic, forward-thinking curriculum that starts with a comprehensive foundational phase focusing on skills that are grounded in theory and ethics.
After completing core courses, you’ll move to the advanced phase, where you’ll create your own plan of study in one or more advanced practice areas:
- Individuals and Families: Learn how to provide direct services that address clients’ environment and overall well-being.
- Organizations and Community: Be prepared to work effectively with entire communities and various types of organizations, including private and public companies and nonprofits.
- Evaluation: Become a more versatile social worker as you study and apply new ideas in the field.
- Policy Practice and Advocacy: Develop skills related to managing organizations and systems, creating policy, writing grant proposals, and obtaining funding.
Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, our MSW curriculum is designed to turn you into a highly competent, integrated practitioner who has the tools to succeed in every setting.
Flexibility and Experience
- Choose between our three campus locations: Lincoln Center, Westchester, and Long Island. Other options include our hybrid campus-online program and our highly regarded online MSW program.
- Find a flexible plan of study or schedule that works for you. Part-time plans of study and weekend courses are available. Students with a bachelors in social work or one year of CSWE-accredited coursework may be eligible for the advanced standing program, which bypasses foundational coursework and may be completed in as little as one year.
- Gain critical hands-on experience through supervised field placements that support your work in both the foundational and advanced phases of the program. Fordham offers a wide variety of placements in settings throughout the New York metropolitan area and across the country.
By earning a Fordham MSW, you’ll join an academic community that’s as passionate about social justice as you are. If you’re ready to change the world, we’re ready to help.