GSE Graduate Assistantships
Graduate Assistantships are made in recognition of academic achievement, special competencies, and/or academic potential. They provide opportunities for academic and professional development. There are two types of assistantships:
- Research Graduate Assistantships support research, service, or professional efforts. It may involve flexible hours and off-site or service activities.
- Administrative Graduate Assistantships support programs administratively. Students must be available during regular business hours.
Students who wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship must have a valid FAFSA on file for the academic school year for which they are applying and meet both merit and financial need requirements. Assistantship awards provide tuition remission for one course per semester. Tuition remission for one course requires 100 hours per semester (approximately 6.5 hours of assistance per week for 15 weeks). Graduate Assistantships are not guaranteed as they are also based upon availability of funding.
To be eligible for a graduate assistantship, students must:
- demonstrate financial need by completing a FAFSA;
- be enrolled in a minimum of 9 to 12 credits for the fall/spring semesters, and a minimum of 6 credits for the summer semester in any degree program within the Graduate School of Education; and
- meet the minimum GPA requirements: 3.5 undergraduate GPA and 3.75 graduate GPA.
NOTE: International students may apply for graduate assistantships if the GPA requirement is met.
How to Apply
New students must apply for Graduate Assistantships during the admissions application process. When completing the online admissions application, check "yes" to receiving GSE School-based aid on the financial aid supplemental form. GSE aid applications will be reviewed once a student has officially been notified by the Admissions Office on their acceptance into a program.
There is no financial aid application deadline for new students, however, awards are issued based on the availability of funds.
If you have already submitted your online admissions application, contact Anisa Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing students must apply for Graduate Assistantships via the my.Fordham.edu portal by the February 1 deadline for the following academic year. Students will need to click on the “Student Tab” via the my.Fordham.edu portal and choose the GSE Financial Aid link under "My Accounts," to submit a GA application online.
Applications received after the February 1 deadline will not be accepted.