Advanced Certificate in Christian Spirituality
This program is offered online or on campus.
The advanced certificate in Christian spirituality program is for those who wish to deepen their understanding of Christian spirituality. Students may complete the program for faith formation, personal enrichment, or to aid their ministry work in houses of worship.
The certificate can also serve an introduction to our M.A. in Christian spirituality or our programs in religious education, pastoral mental health counseling, and pastoral ministry. Successful completion of the certificate program will grant you admission to the M.A. in Christian spirituality.
- Choose one of three degree program concentrations: spiritual direction, research, or generalist.
- Teach and learn with our renowned faculty and international students from more than twenty countries.
- Take courses at the member schools of the New York Theological Consortium.
- Prepare for doctoral work by pursuing the research concentration.
- Consider becoming an accredited spiritual director; pursue the concentration in spiritual direction.
- Be enriched by spiritual retreats and campus ministry experiences.
- The curriculum requires satisfactory completion of 12 courses (36 semester credits).
- You may pursue the program either as a full-time or part-time student.
- For the research and generalist concentrations, classes may be taken on campus, online, or a combination of both.
- The concentration in spiritual direction has some on-campus requirements; however, most courses may be taken either online or on campus. Intensive summer courses are offered yearly.
- Candidates in the spiritual direction and generalist concentrations must pass a comprehensive exam.
- Candidates in the research concentration must complete a master’s thesis and demonstrate competency in a second language. This option is potentially available to students in the spiritual direction concentration.
- Generous scholarships and tuition waivers are available.
- Spiritual director
- Retreat facilitator
- Religion teacher
- Parish or diocesan faith formation leader