GSAS Application Fee Waivers
Submit copies of any of the following with your fee waiver request:
- Active Duty Orders
- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214, 215 or 256)
- Military ID Card (active duty, National Guard, Reserves, IRR, or retiree).
- VA Issued ID Card for Health Care
- Veterans ID Card
- Driver’s License with Veterans Designation or State Veterans ID Card
- Veterans Group Membership Card
GSAS may grant an application fee waiver to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only (non U.S. citizens are not eligible for a need-based fee waiver) who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and who submit official documentation that demonstrates financial need. Applicants can submit one or more of the following to demonstrate financial need:
- An official letter that verifies your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), signed by you and a financial aid officer at your current institution.
- A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) (available from the FAFSA website).
- A copy of your most current U.S. federal income tax return (Form 1040).
- If you have been furloughed or lost your job as a result of COVID-19, a letter from your former employer signed by a manager or supervisor verifying your loss of employment due to COVID-19.
GSAS reserves the right to request additional information beyond the above.
GSAS may also grant an application fee waiver on the basis of participation in certain programs within the last two years. Applicants must provide documentation of participation or affiliation, and include dates of participation. Applicable programs and/or affiliations include the following:
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minorities Students (ABRCMS)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar
- Collegiate Science & Technology Entry Program (CSTEP)
- Fulbright Scholars
- Jackie Robinson Foundation
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps Members
- Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- McNair Scholars
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellows Program
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Minority Biomedical Research Support Program (RISE)
- National Association of African American Honors Programs (NAAAHP)
- Peace Corps Volunteers
- Project 1000 Scholars
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Teach for America
- TRIO Scholars
- Submit your completed online application.
- Log into your Application Status Page and click the link to the Application Fee Waiver Request form.
- Complete the form as directed and upload all verification documentation by the application deadline for your program of interest.
All completed fee waiver requests will be reviewed by GSAS Admissions. Applicants will be notified of the decision only when all necessary documentation has been submitted. GSAS reserves the right to request additional information beyond the above. Failure to submit the completed request form with the proper documentation by the application deadline will result in an incomplete fee waiver request and require payment of the application fee. Fee waivers are not guaranteed. Applicants not approved for fee waivers must submit the non-refundable application fee online.