Alpha Upsilon Alpha
Fordham University Chapter Beta Iota
Alpha Upsilon Alpha is an Honor Society for reading/language arts educators with a chapter established at Fordham University. This year's Graduate School of Education Honor Society Induction Ceremony will be held on Monday, March 15, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. This event will occur virtually; the Zoom link will be shared with inductees and their families.
The International Reading Association established the Alpha Upsilon Alpha Honor Society in May 1985. The purposes of Alpha Upsilon Alpha Honor Society are:
- to recognize and encourage scholarship, leadership, and service in the field of reading and English Language Arts;
- to stimulate interest in and understanding of research within the field and in related areas;
- to develop an appreciation for the importance of reading in society, the need for effective teaching of reading at all levels, and the ever-increasing literacy demands of modern society;
- to broaden the understanding of literacy and to enhance international communication in this field.
The requirements for membership are as follows:
- Submit application by March 1, 2021 to Dr. Moliterno (email@example.com).
- Matriculation in the MST Program in Adolescent English or matriculation in the Ph.D. program in ICI, CLAIR, or Language, Literacy, and Learning.
- Minimum of 12 graduate ELA credits completed.
- Achievement of a minimum 3.7 grade point average in all graduate work.
- Potential for scholarship, leadership, and service.
- Approval by the membership committee composed of chapter officers and Fordham faculty.
All chapter members must be members of the International Literacy Association (ILA) and must keep their memberships current.
Fordham students who qualify for membership are invited to join Alpha Upsilon Alpha. Induction of new members takes place during the spring semester.
If you wish to join Alpha Upsilon Alpha, please submit your application by March 1, 2021. Contact Dr. Moliterno (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information.