STEM Field Career Software Development
Software developers contribute technical competence and design-based thinking to a rapidly growing profession that emphasizes creativity, attention to detail, collaboration, and problem-solving.
Software developers create the systems that operate on computer devices from desktops to smart phones, building applications, web browsers, databases, word processors, antivirus programs, and audiovisual players. Many developers work for service-based or software manufacturing companies.
A successful software developer has a demonstrated capacity to:
- Conceive of new features for developing or improving computer systems, or build systems according to company specifications
- Think critically about commercial trends based on market research, implementing software changes or improvements accordingly
- Code clean, safe, and reliable programs in multiple languages, including Java, C, C++, C#, and Python
- Work well in a team setting, cooperating with team members and departments company-wide by effectively communicating and receiving feedback
Ranked #2 by the U.S. News and World Report’s Top 10 Technology Jobs of 2017, software developers can locate roles within almost every industry. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, software development has an explosive job growth rate of 24% through 2026 and the median annual salary for software developers is $105,590. Advanced degrees in fields related to software development – including computer and information science and data analytics – form developers with high competence in working with new and complex computer languages, writing algorithms, computer networking, and developing software solutions for everyday problems.
Software Development Communities and Professional Associations:
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Computing Research Association
- IEEE Computer Society
- Data Science Association
- Association for Women in Computing
Developer Job Boards:
- Authentic Jobs: This job board specializes in web-based employment opportunities.
- Mashable: Mashable compiles job openings in the tech and media industries.
- GitHub: This online community for developers features a job board with new opportunities in software development.
- Stack Overflow: This page, which includes a question-and-answer community for programmers, includes a job board with postings for developer opportunities.
- Android Jobs: Android Jobs is an ideal search venue for developers interested in mobile projects.