What is FYF?
The First-Year Formation (FYF) program is a symposium designed to assist students with the adjustment and transition to college life at Fordham University, the Jesuit University of New York.
Sponsored by New Student Orientation and the Office for Student Involvement, First-Year Formation is an extension of the summer and fall orientation programs. The program promotes student involvement in the Fordham academic and co-curricular community, and explores the University’s distinct Jesuit mission by engaging new students from their very first days on campus. The symposium meets weekly during the fall semester, and features modules that promote academic and career success, exploration of personal values, ethical decision-making and service in its many dimensions.
The symposium consists of a small group of new students, and is taught by a Student Affairs administrator with the help of an upperclass student orientation leader who knows what it is like to be a Fordham University at Lincoln Center student. The course is taught using a variety of teaching techniques including discussion, weekly reflections, and service-learning, to help a small group of first-year students make the most out of their college experience. The Fall 2021 program is open for registration through the last of Add/Drop on Thursday, September 9th. The Fall 2021 program is open to the Class of 2024 and 2025. You can tell the Office for Student Involvement that you would like to register by completing THIS FORM. Once you have filled out this form, Student Involvement staff will work with your respective Dean's Office who will add this to your class registration.
What Will FYF Help Students Achieve?
- Engage in skills that will contribute to lifelong learning.
- Be encouraged to begin the process of determining personal values and ethics during their college experience.
- Increase their communication skills through writing assignments and oral presentations.
- Gain an understanding of their campus and greater New York City communities.
- Be able to identify Fordham University's distinct mission as a Jesuit institution of higher learning.
- Gain a greater insight of themselves and others.
- University Resources and Your Campus Community
- Character, Integrity, and College Life
- Making Service a Part of your Academic Experience
- Thriving in the Classroom
- Developing Healthy Relationships and Communication Skills
- Life and Career Planning
- Decision Making and Substance Abuse
- Living in a Diverse World
- Leadership and Values
- Dealing with Stress and Being Physically and Mentally Healthy
First Year Formation classes meet once a week for an hour and 15 minutes. If you are interested in registering for FYF, please contact your class dean for information on registration.